mount GoPro on your head? / pros and cons of blurfix vs backscatter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amoses

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just ordered a GoPro outdoor version, because I thought it would be convenient to mount it on my head while diving. Is this what most of you do with your GoPro's? What is the best way to use one while diving?

Also, I am trying to decide between the blurfix kit versus Backscatter housing. Is there any difference in clarity of the video between the two? if anyone has a good list of pros and cons of each that would be great.

Aaron

I just ordered a GoPro outdoor version, because I thought it would be convenient to mount it on my head while diving. Is this what most of you do with your GoPro's? What is the best way to use one while diving?

Also, I am trying to decide between the blurfix kit versus Backscatter housing. Is there any difference in clarity of the video between the two? if anyone has a good list of pros and cons of each that would be great.

Aaron

Aaron, I think that quality wise the two are equal and the results I have seen from both also look equal. I am personally in favor of backscatter as firstly they are a little cheaper (and a lot cheaper if you need a filter) but more importantly I like the fact that the filter in the backscatter can come off predive, post dive and intra dive - that is not the case for the Blurfix. I found that when I was on the boat, between 0 and 20 feet and deeper than 60 feet not being able to take off the filter is an issue.

As to head mounting, the things that will give your video good quality are steadiness and being aimed in the right area. You will not have any of this with a head mount. Other issues with a head mount is potential confusion as to whether you are filming or not, interference with bubbles and also in a brisk current you could find it and your person parting ways. There are some very reasonably priced trays to be had and made. You have 25-49 dives on your belt so without being patronizing make sure that you are comfortable with your skills and buoyancy before you add another component to the mix.

Have fun

Craig

Head mounting can get you decent results, you just need to learn how to aim the camera properly and use a method to make sure it is secured on your head. I use a chin strap made from an old bag attached to the headband, you can also just make sure that your hood goes over the headband which will also keep it safely on your head. I think for in experienced divers head-mounting is a great option as you dont have to worry about operating the camera but still get a great POV video memory of your dive.

Here is an example of a full dive headmounted, this was using an EOM housing with a clear lens in poor vis and overcast with a gopro HD1. Better conditions and a HD2 with a filter will get better image quality but this is a good example of what the headmount can do. Huge turtle at 8 minutes and and lots of sharks from about 16 minutes into the dive.
[video=vimeo;23553871]https://vimeo.com/23553871[/video]

I use head-mounting or a tray setup, the tray I prefer when diving to shoot video but head-mounting is cool just for diving and shooting completely hands free. Best to use 720P60 mode for headmounts and doing some practice on land to sort out the best angle to set the camera at.

Re Blurfix and Backscatter, ive only used the Blurfix and image quality from both solutions looks similar. I havent seen a side by side comparison between the URPro and Magic filter yet so Im not sure how they will differ. My results using the Blurfix and URPro filters have been very good and I havent seen any filters do a better job with a GoPro yet but the Magic filter looks fairly close.

Main difference between the 2 is the wet filter option on the Backscatter, as a fairly new diver and if your intending to headmount anyhow you wont be wanting to put on or take off the filter underwater so this may not be very important for you. The URPro filters will give you great results and you can check my channels for some examples with the Blurfix and also a few head mounted videos. Most of my head-mounts were shot before the Blurfix though as I tend to prefer the tray unless I need my hand free for the full dive.

Last edited:
I added a chin strap to the supplied headstrap so there is no fear of me and my camera parting ways. I find the image to be fairly stable, no issue with steadiness, the issue with getting a good picture is framing - it will take some experimentation to get the right angle on the camera, and you need to be aware that its position above you means it will not always see what you do. The only real issue I have is when I go vertical, bubbles tend to be a bit of a bother. Not so much an issue horizontal. If you wear a snorkel, be careful of its positioning as it can flop in front of the camera.

Awesome dive video with the sharks!! Well done Marty!

Both are great products IMO, and I have had excellent customer service from both. I prefer the Backscatter for the reasons above though. The URPro filter does a great job. The Magic Filter cut to fit filters are ehhhh. The new Magic Filter for the backscatter does a great job and is comparable easily to the URPro filters IMO.

As for head mounting, I use a helmet. I usually head mount one camera on my helmet, which is a kids bicycle helmet with the padding removed so it fits nice and snug on my head, and then tray mount my other camera. The head mount usually runs in video the entire dive, and then tray is for taking pictures and video of specific items. I also mount my primary dive light on my helmet for night dives and have it aimed wherever the helmet camera is pointed.

I used to use mine using the elasticated three-band head strap that was standard issue and secured it to my reg necklace through some thin line. I had seen too many ride off divers heads during a giant stride so the tether was the final line of security. The line was kept short and tied to the rear of the head mount to prevent any strangling issues.

Now I have it bolted to to the front of a cheap, neutrally buoyant skate board helmet, together with two 300 lumen lights. Works fine, as long as I don't do an ADHD gaze around the dive site :) Focus on keeping the head steady and good results can be obtained without otherwise task loading the dive.

When I helmet mounted mine, mind you not to a LM helmet, I used the curved sticky mount and then after that "cured" for a day I went around the mount with silicone to prevent water from getting in and destroying the adhesive. So far it has around 50 dives on it in salt water without a problem.

I tried the sticky mount but the curve of the helmet was such that the adhesion wasn't great. I dismantled the head strap thing and used the front plate as a mount on the helmet with stainless hardware to ensure a secure fit. This allows the camera to be near horizontal through vertical depending on what kind of POV movie I'm after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom