Question Mount bailout tank with OTS lungs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nightzero

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some tips on how to mount bailout tanks when diving over the soulder counterlungs.

If using a normal D-ring on the harness, the counterlungs will cover the D-ring and it will be impossible to access the D-ring. Especially when diving in cold waters with drysuit and dry gloves.

Now I use offset D-rings on the harness, that points outwards so i can access it from the side of the lung. Problem is they cuts into my arms and makes it difficult to reach left arm from left to right and vice versa.

How do you other divers do? Some nice pictures on solutions would be appriciated!

If steel cylinder, a LightMonkey BAS or similar buttplate attached to the backplate. Bottom clip goes to that, top of cylinder gets bungeed sidemount style with the bungee attaching to a hole in the backplate. If needed, a paracord tether with boltsnap from top of cylinder to the chest d ring.

If AL, top is the same but bottom clips to sliding or fixed waist D Ring.

What counterlungs? I've found with the ISC Minnow's that I don't need to use the bottom velcro's and instead use a bungee/clip that clips onto the crotch d-ring. With this, I can simply move the CL and get to the chest d-rings with no problem.

I did the same as Ken with the Prism2 counterlungs. Takes a bit of practice, but nothing more than learning to clip and unclip an SPG from your hip d-ring. I'm not great at it yet, since I haven't done any post certification dives on the P2, but it wasn't really a challenge.

I use the Poseidon CL. I will try your suggestion to skip bottom velcro and clip to crotch dring instead, with bungee.

Being captain/crew on a charter boat I can tell you by far, the most common successful set ups I see are ones that use side mount style bungees.

I've put 2-3 bottles on a diver, consistently who are using simple bungee loops on the backplate and usually a neck clip/bungee around the neck also.

Being captain/crew on a charter boat I can tell you by far, the most common successful set ups I see are ones that use side mount style bungees.

I've put 2-3 bottles on a diver, consistently who are using simple bungee loops on the backplate and usually a neck clip/bungee around the neck also.

If employing this method, I'd ensure that the bungee is a high tensile 1/4" (6mm) and plan to replace them from time to time. I've had a cord fail before, when getting out of the water, but the bottle was clipped off to a D-ring, so no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom