Motion sickness glasses-scam or legit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a scale of 1-10, when seasickness hits, I am a solid 10. I get mild relief from Dramamine, Bonine and ginger candy. The patch helps, but the pupil dilation makes it hard to read my gauges. I love diving, and tend to stick with destinations that offer short boat rides or shore diving. My issue is not bad on a small boat moving forward and sitting forward; but when the boat stops(especially boat based surface intervals), the motion sickness creeps up and is unrelenting. In Oct. we are supposed to meet up with some friends in the Turks and Caicos to do some diving. The boat dives are a good distance from shore, with surface intervals on the boat.

Today on Facebook, somebody posted an article about some dreadful, hideous looking glasses that can help with this issue. I will totally settle for looking like a freak during surface intervals if this devise really helps. Has anybody every heard of these glasses?

Could These Glasses Cure Your Motion Sickness? | Innovation | Smithsonian

Huh.. I get seasick on occasion myself. Those seem to have an artificial horizon for you to keep your eyes on so... maybe. If you get some, make sure to post back after you used them and say if they worked or not.

In theory it should work, as motion sickness is exacerbated by conflicts between what your eyes and ears tell your brain about where the world is located. I'm a bit skeptical that they are actually effective. But... for 100 bucks it might be worth the chance for some relief.

I bet you could make some with four baby teething rings, some dollar store gag glasses and a bit of hot glue... just to test the theory. Plus that would look extra fashionable.

You'd have to drill a hole in the teething rings to drain half the fluid. Then you could fill the hole with hot glue. Maybe add some food coloring to the fluid if needed. Maybe $25 including the cost of the hot-snot gun.

Did say that you sit forward on the boat?

I get mild relief from Dramamine, Bonine and ginger candy. The patch helps, but the pupil dilation makes it hard to read my gauges.

It's not the dilation that makes it hard to read your gauges. It's the parasympatholitic effect of the medication that simulates presbyopia by inducing temporary paresis of the ciliary muscles which prevents them from pulling on the intraocular lens resulting in an inability to accommodate or focus for nearpoint.

If you get some, make sure to post back after you used them and say if they worked or not.

It’s ESSENTIAL that you post pictures of you sporting these stylish spectacles too! :cool:

That article in the link is from July last year before production was started, says it was planned for end of last year. Looks like a web search now for Boarding Glasses might bring up some options for eBay sellers, knock-offs, etc. for far less than $100.

Also, have you tried Sea Bands? I don't need them myself so I can't speak from personal experience, but some folks do swear by them. And they have been out in the marketplace for ages, so they are not just a latest fad item.
Home

@kelemvor , people who don't suffer from seasickness(aka my husband) have no clue how miserable the effects are. If I end up purchasing a pair, I will post a follow up. @RyanT , there are actually some other models at a fraction of the price. I wonder about UV protection, and if I could get a version of them with sunglasses. @chillyinCanada I always sit facing forward. Any turning of the head is walking on thin ice. @caruso , you took the words out of my mouth, I was going to say the exact thing:wink: I appreciate your explanation of the drug side effects. Reading books is one of my favorite past times. The patch makes it a struggle. @Soloist, I am game for posting photo. Beware, I may not cope well with becoming an overnight sex symbol. @JackD342 , I did try the sea bands and unfortunately, it did not work. The ones I tried were different than the link provided. Perhaps another try with a different brand will help.

Thanks everybody for the input:)

Thinking about other advice I have heard over the years.... (yes, it was free advice, so you determine the relative worth)

One place was strongly advising to take the Bonine the night before rather than the morning of the dive.
Also have heard some breakfast foods are best to avoid - eggs come to mind for sure - trying to remember if greasy foods like bacon and sausage were also on the avoidance list.

No idea how widespread (or not) those thoughts are, but no cost to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom