Most reliable air tight mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boyan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I have bought a fancy clear silicone mask for 70 € and it was a real disappointment. It was super hard to put on in a way, so that it was air tight, even a single hair would compromise it and it was super foggy all the time even after tooth paste and lots of washing. After a while it got a crack in the plastic and now its completely unusable.

I switched to a mask which cost 10$, including some other things, which turned out to be way more reliable. Only problem is its not very easy to clear completely underwater, because its not close to the face.

What kind of mask can I get, which is reliable, robust, easy to clear and most importantly air tight? Is silicone still the way to go or some other material is more robust?

the answer to that question is any one that fits your face properly. Only you can determine that and only by trying as many on as you can. Silicone is the best skirt material, and I am partial to frameless masks to limit hard plastic.

New divers tend to buy masks on 'features'. There is only one feature that really matters..... fit. And you tend to get poor information about how to determine if a mask fits, even from shops and other divers. Suctioning it onto your face is not it. Try this method.
Scuba Mask Fit--Insuring Your New Mask Fits Properly | Carib Inn

Fit is the secret as we have different faces and don't make it tight.

As a side note, it can be a tendency to blame a piece of equipment instead of improving our skills. Learn how to give a good anti fog spit, protect it from impacts, brush your hair back and how to effectively clear a mask and you'll find you can dive almost any mask that fits.

Happy diving,
Cameron

I'm a big fan of the aqualung masks. The main reason being, where the strap attaches to the mask there is a hinge type connection which allow you to have the strap where it feels comfortable on the back of your head and no leaks. I also prefer teh low volume masks.

For fog prevention I use a thin smear of baby shampoo on the dry mask and just before the dive use a little water to swill around the inside of the mask to remove most of it leaving a thin film. I used to use fresh water and occasionally get a little bit of fogging, if I use sea water to swill there is no fogging at all. I've no idea of the reason why

Fit. Baby shampoo has kept any mask I've used clear of fog. I smear it with TP then one mask clearing to "rinse" it with water at the dive's start. I put the shampoo on days before the dive sometimes.

I use a Scubapro Solo frameless mask that I purchased at my LDS. A light smear of baby shampoo right before every dive. No leakage and no fogging at all!

Price counts for little when it comes to masks.

Priorities for mask (IMHO):
1) Fit - make sure it fits your face type without forcing the straps too tight (overtightening can cause the skirt to deform and make the seal less effective)
2) Visibility - decently large lenses
3) Volume - a low volume mask will be easier to manage (less gas inside the mask means easier to prevent squeeze)
4) Skirt type (clear or black)

Back
Top Bottom