Most Redundant OC SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just put together perhaps the most advanced solo diving open circuit system available. I am using independent doubles, with two regulators (one a Scubapro first stage with a Dacor Olympic first stage on the other tank). These two regulators were set to the same IP (160 psig) and both hooked to a Scubapro A.I.R. I second stage. Because of the configuration, either tank could be independently turned off and the second stage would be fed from the other side. The Dacor Olypmic regulator had a Dacor safe second stage attached to it as an octopus.

Only the A.I.R. I, the Scubapro Pilot, and one other Scubapro second stage could be set up this way (D200?). Feeding the second stage from two independent first stages provides not only redundency, but twice the volume of air available for high demand. I never needed that volume, as this was a shallow (23 feet) dive in the Clackamas River.

Attachments

• IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
Interesting!

John on your test dive did you notice that one tank would drain faster than the other due to slight difference in the IPs?

I just put together perhaps the most advanced solo diving open circuit system available.

Interesting. How are you defining "advanced" in this context?

John do I understand that what is needed is the A.I.R with the left and right hand ports? The dacors are just what you used or are they also a integral part of the setup? I have a A.I.R but no Dacors.

Not sure I understand all of that, but I personally do not like hoses sticking straight up out of the first stage. I am way too clumsy when going under stuff for that to be a good idea.

John

What is that circular yellow thing hanging next to your fins?

I never liked the use of the word "redundant" for backup breathing systems, even though I have used it. One of the most common definitions is:

adjective: redundant

1. not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous.

synonyms: unnecessary, not required, inessential, unessential, needless, unneeded, uncalled for;​

Probably not what you had in mind.

Quite possibly one of the most jacked up rigs I've seen this year. For newer members, please don't do this to your rig. :D :D :D

John

What is that circular yellow thing hanging next to your fins?

I never liked the use of the word "redundant" for backup breathing systems, even though I have used it. One of the most common definitions is:

adjective: redundant

1. not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous.

synonyms: unnecessary, not required, inessential, unessential, needless, unneeded, uncalled for;​

Probably not what you had in mind.

If you are going to copy and paste google results you should click the down arrow and include:

•Engineering

(of a component) not strictly necessary to functioning but included in case of failure in another component

What was your inspiration to use two first stages to supply one second stage ?
I guess handing off your primary and switching to an octopus is not an option ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom