Most prefered Vplanner B or RGBM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andibk

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering buying a new deco planner, I have narrowed it down to the V planner b or the RGBM. I will be using the planner for dives from 50 meters to 200 meters. I will be using the planners during fun dives and teaching. I would like to hear the good points and bad points of these planners. Which one is more friendly to use? From what I understand they both give quite similiar dive profiles.

andibk

Hi there. I use V Planner for mixed gasses, but not at the depth you talk of - try posting on Tek Talk. RGBM is a model - not sure what software you refer to.

For teaching try downloading the Suunto Dive Manager. Its free and gives a visual aid to allow students to see the on and off gassing process.

Chris

No offense there bud, but if I was contemplating 200 meter dives, I'd already know what software I was going to be using.

That aside, you can find out about VPM-B or RGBM by using the search buttom, as this subject has been discussed in the past. You can also search on the authors, Ross Hemmingway (sp) and Wienke (sp).

No, they are not the same.

MD

I think he meant that 200 meters was about the limit of what he would ever consider doing, not that he was planning any dives to that depth...

I have Abyss, GAP, and V-Planner installed and have run numerous profiles on each of them. My software of choice is V-Planner. It is my belief that if a survey was conducted, it would be found that the majority of ScubaBoard and DecoStop tech divers use V-Planner. I have no interest in trying to confirm this...

I also have PalmVPM installed on my Treo600. It does not support VPM-B and I am not comfortable with the profiles it generates - I manually extend the shallower stops to shape the curve more like VPM-B. I believe a VPM-B version of PalmVPM is on the way.

The good news is that V-Planner is basically free until you get tired of the nagometer so you can play before your pay.

andibk:
I am considering buying a new deco planner, I have narrowed it down to the V planner b or the RGBM. andibk

Andi,

Actually, despite their differences in approach, both are quite excellent pieces of kit. My suggestion would be that you get both, and model your dives on both to compare them.

IANTD uses VPM-B, Tom Mount recommends it, and our tables are derived from it.

RGBM is an excellent model, especially for helium use, and the NAUI tables are derived from it.

Either way you can't go wrong. One note: the H-S Explorer computer is the only one I know of at this time that offers the "full" implementation of RGBM in its pure form.

Cheers!

If the planned dive depth and time means you are doing your first deco stop(s) on your bottom (He) mix and the planner does not take ICD into account then get another planner.

If it doesn't and you do the dive then the chances are that you won't be able to complain to anyone.

ninjamuzo:
If the planned dive depth and time means you are doing your first deco stop(s) on your bottom (He) mix and the planner does not take ICD into account then get another planner.

If it doesn't and you do the dive then the chances are that you won't be able to complain to anyone.

Ninja - can you explain/elaborate on your post please?

Back
Top Bottom