Most legible puck style bottom timer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for a bottom timer for my scooter gauge console. What is the most legible for depth and time? A computer with a good gauge mode would be OK too. Readability is the main criteria. Having an electronic compass would be a bonus but not essential as the console has an SK8 already.

Lots of the LCD computers have big numbers, but don't use those in gauge mode, it seems.

Any feedback appreciated!

Thanks

Maybe look for a used Liquivison Xen? Shearwaters have a gauge mode too, with large numbers.

I need a round puck style computer that fits in a console on my scooter. This is only to monitor depth and time while i am running. I do not even really need a "computer" for this task only a bottom timer, so low cost is key, but readability is important.

Anyone have the Zoop Novo? It looks like a very readable gauge mode in photos but I have not seen one in reality.

I'd get whatever you can get cheapest. All of the puck styles have similarly lame readability when compared to something like a Shearwater, especially at scooter-distance from your face. A Divesoft Freedom would be a good alternative, but not a puck style unfortunately.

To be honest, changing the scooter console mount and getting the bottom timer that works best would be preferable to keeping the console mount and dealing with a less-than-ideal timer solution.

I found a used Zoop Novo for about $150. Looks very readable for depth/time in gauge mode which is all I need as my main computer is on my left wrist. Don't want to mess with a big DIY project on my scooter as i only need the depth readout for convenience while I am running without having to raise my left arm to look at my computer.

Just found out--Scuba.com sells brand new ones of the Uwatec for $265! Did not know Uwatec even made them any more. That looks like pretty much what I need if I don't go with something used.

Just found out--Scuba.com sells brand new ones of the Uwatec for $265! Did not know Uwatec even made them any more. That looks like pretty much what I need if I don't go with something used.
You could get an Oceanic Veo 2 for just $300 and have a good, liberal backup computer in addition to your depth gauge and timer.

I may not have been clear enough, a puck that is readable on your left wrist, that you turn and put in front of your ace, may not be readable at arms length on a scooter leash. So get a cheap one in case it doesn't work.

Thanks JohnnyC. I will look for a used Zoop Novo, which, after looking through about 10 manuals, seems to have big and readable numbers for depth and time unlike all the others.

Back
Top Bottom