Most inexpensive way to stay, eat, and dive in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danieladamsmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks,

Without going all nasty...WHat would you folks suggest is the best place to go to and get an inexpensive week of diving, eating, relaxing without living spartan? Caye Caulker? Where?

Caye Caulker, definitely. If you are going w/ friends split the $25 taxi from the Belize City airport, take the water taxi to Caye Caulker ($12 or something like that). Once you get there you have a variety of options for very cheap accommodations. I forget the name of the place I used but it cost me $7 per night. Diving is not as cheap as Utila, but if you are diving multiple days with the same outfit and you bring your own gear, you can work out a good package deal. I've been diving in a good number of places and Belize is waaayyy up there in terms of tropical diving. A lot of big life, tons of nurse sharks, stingrays, eagle rays, large grouper, turtles, barracuda, saw a manta ray, huge puffer fish, tons of tropicals, you name it. You can dive for cheaper in Utila, but depending on where you are flying from the difference in flight costs could be a deciding factor between the two. If you are coming from Austria, I would just go to the red sea :). PM me if you need any more details or ideas.

I hadn't spotted the Austria bit. Definitely the Red Sea, or the Maldives while they're still above water - wonderful and challenging diving.

As far as northern Belize is concerned, although Ambergris Caye is generally more expensive than Caye Caulker you can live and eat here as cheaply, and you'll find dive packages as cheap as well. AC is busier than CC which may be a turn off for you, but it means there's far more here to see and do when you're not in the water. People can get rather bored on CC.

I don't know what exactly you mean by "spartan", but look up Pedro's Inn for starters.

Spartan in my case means that I want to stay in a clean room but i don't need anything fancy. Simple lodgings without being nasty or uncared for...

Peter, I know where to go diving that is close to Austria, but this trip to Belize is more based around a group who mainly live in the States. I will try to get to Egypt next year.

Our stay in Placencia (Southern Belize) was pretty cheap. Trade Winds Hotel trdewndpla@btl.net was just perfect. Simple cabana on the water with a small frig. We stocked it for breakfast and evening beverages. Diving was okay, long rides but we were there during whale shark season so it was worth it. If it was not for that I would probably head north.

I second tradewinds. We stayed there. VERY simple--cinder block huts, but so close to the water--a great view from your hammock!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom