Most fin features are gimmics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles, where the debris meets the sea
I remember when Scubapro first came out with "jet fins. Now I see a plethora of fin gimmics, between split fins, ducted fins, ribbed fins, dual polymer fins, angled fins, I think it is all a bunch of marketing junk science to get everyone to buy new fins. Now I am not talking about correct foot pocket size, confortable straps and fins with decent flex characteristics.

When diving we are one big drag inducing machine with all the crap hanging everywhere. In air at least drag increases by the square with a speed increase, and I will guess it is the same in water. If one particular fin design provides 20 grams more thrust for the same effort over another, do you think that will translate into maybe a 1/100 of a mile per hour faster? Maybe for the same speed you will burn 8 less calories to travel the same distance?

I've seen some pretty responsible folks claiming better thrust from some of the new designs, but my experience leads me to simple blades like the old jet fin or the Cressi Frog. These provide good thrust using anti-silting kicks, allow fine control with tiny flicks and skulls, even allow me to fin backwards a little, none of which can be done well with the new batch of split fins.
I tried 'em.
I dive Scubapro jets in overhead environments and Frogs in open water.
Rick

Rick,

I am the first to want to get the latest trick toy whe it comes to dive equipment, but I agree.

I must look strange with all my trick latest equipment and my 10 year old scrathed to hell fins on dive boats.......

These new fins and the advertising claims reminds me of the freaky tennis shoes they have these days. All these clear air chambers, gaudy wavy soles, rebound inserts.....They look like some sort of freaked out moonboots. In reading the claims, you would think that they are cold fusion shoes capable of creating nore energy than input, capable of increasing your leaping ability by orders of magnitude.

There are definately difference in performance between different fins. As for split fins, I've only tried Apollo Bios. They are excellent fins, but IMHO, Jets are superior. I've tried lots of conventional fins, but I've never found any as good as Jets.

DSSW,

WWW™

GIMMICK, gimmick, gimmick.......

Hey, I remember when they used to say that about the vents in the jetfin. I was one of them and I was wrong.

I think I'm on the right side of the splitfin trend though. They work great, I've used a pair of Apollos for over two years and my quattros are still hanging in the shop.

Hey, I remember Farallon/Oceanic fins that had articulating braces on each side of the ankle that attached to your lower shin kinda like those pivoting knee braces......

Yes, Farallon had their share of hits and misses. They were selling an electronic deco computer in 1975. They were the first with a lot of things. Being innovative carries risks, there was a recall of that computer the same year, just as sales were taking off.

Funny you should mention the fin braces. There is a diver on another thread who is complaining of pain in the ankles. I had never heard of this but offered whatever advice that I could. Maybe this is more common than I thought. I always wondered what Farallon was trying to achieve with that fin, besides sales that is.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t5671/s.html

I like conventional fins for versatility, antisilting kicks ect. I have given split fins a good solid try. I think they move through the water easier because their broken when you buy them.

I began diving with a pair of IDI jet fins (nearly identical to Scuba pro's) I had problems with the large pockets and had to wear large booties and pull the straps real tight, but after repeated dives I always got blisters on top my feet. Alass I tried the new Apollo Bio Fins (I was attracted to their 5 sizes) I found a perfect fit and I truely feel I move as quickly as before with Less effort (less air use) I've heard they're not as stable for hoovering in one place,as paddle fins, for taking pictures, but I'm very satisfied and I guess that's the main thing.

Originally posted by DrySuitDave
I remember when Scubapro first came out with "jet fins. Now I see a plethora of fin gimmics, between split fins, ducted fins, ribbed fins, dual polymer fins, angled fins, I think it is all a bunch of marketing junk science to get everyone to buy new fins. Now I am not talking about correct foot pocket size, confortable straps and fins with decent flex characteristics.

No doubts that these are marketing gimmicks. However, these feature at times do help certain divers. People differ from one another. For those with strong legs, conventional fins are fine. For those who are weak on the legs or do not have proper finning techniques, these features do help. At the of the day, manufacturer's target greatly on comfort too and not just the propulsion.

I've personally tried the split fins and I do not see anything great about it, furthermore....I feel it's way too soft to dive with. But I do know divers who swears by it's effectiveness and comfort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom