Morrison/Vortex Springs Sunfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was looking for a freshwater critters forum, but couldn't find one so I'm hoping this one will do.

I just dove Morrison and Vortex with my dive club this weekend. In both (but more seen in Morrison) there was a red-eyed sunfish with dark blotchy coloration. The blotches almosted formed a diamond or chain patern with the lighter spots. I did not bring my camera on this trip since I wanted to make sure I concentrated on other things and so did not get a picture of the critter.

Does anyone out there who knows their sunfishes have any idea what this could be? I also saw long-eared, bluegill, and LMB as well as the eels. All sighted specimens of the unknown were a nice size. It has some resemblance to a flier, but I can't find a truely definitive image that convinces me of that and I looked for and did not see a spot at the posterior end of the dorsal fin. Shape and coloration maybe matched a shadow bass (Amboplites ariommus) better, but still not quitre right, and shadow bass supposedly have a blue eye with a red ring. I remember these guys having a fully red eye. Too roundish for a warmouth. I wish I could have gotten one in the hand to look at better (ie see how big his mouth was!)

Everyone kept asking about it so I'm not the only one there who took note of this species. I figure other divers might have also noticed it and figured out what it was :)

Rock Bass.
Ambloplites rupestris
Rick

You ROCK!!! No Pun intended :D I do belive it could be a rock bass :) If I get a chance to go back I am definitely bringing my camera with me. Although this seems maybe to be a more northeastern species. I have to take the time to read though various accoutns of bothe this and the shadow bass. I appreciate the input :)

If this is the fellow you saw, then it's a Rock Bass (as you noted, not a bass at all, but a sunfish) :)

rock_bass.jpg

This one was taken at Vortex at a depth of 60' just inside the mouth of the cave.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom