Morrison next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrfish87

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking to go to Morrison during the week next week to try out some new gear. Anybody know the conditions?? or can predict the conditions. My wife has a new Ladyhawk and has never used back inflate before so we need to do some easy dives before hitting the oil rigs. Anybody free to make a trip during the week?

Conditions are easy to predict thanks to Sea Yoda and Suprbugman who gave me this link to check the water level.

http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=tae&gage=carf1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

The river level has a relation on the the vis in the basin.

Currently (Sat 12am) the water level is at about 4'. Which is pretty good I'm told. River level of 3.5feet of lower is what they told me was really good. It looks like during the week this week, they are predicting 3 feet. So most all the water in the basin should be clear outflow from the spring instead of "flood" from the river.

The only other condition there is the water temp, which is always at about 67-68f spring water, unless the river floods in, then then colder (or warmer depending on season) river water will be "on top" of the 68f degree layer on bottom.

Check with SeaYoda. He's off some during the week and was a very good dive guide.

So what will it be like at 4.4 feet according to the chart. Chocalate milk. Guess I'll have to do Vortex. I am going Wednesday if all works out. I'll get there about 11am. It's going to be a new equipment dive so we are just gunna play around.

Less than 6' with no rain runoff should be great. I'm waiting for a report from SBM. He was supposed to have gone Saturday morning.

mrfish87:
So what will it be like at 4.4 feet according to the chart. Chocalate milk. Guess I'll have to do Vortex. I am going Wednesday if all works out. I'll get there about 11am. It's going to be a new equipment dive so we are just gunna play around.

Couple weeks ago I dove it at around 6' and we had 20-25' of green water visibility if I remember correctly. Since you're diving during the week, you won't have to contend with classes stirring the crap out of the bottom. You should be fine!

SeaYoda:
I'm waiting for a report from SBM. He was supposed to have gone Saturday morning.

You weren't able to make it, so of course it was great :wink: and no dredges! Need to process photos and then type up a report :D

mike_s:
The only other condition there is the water temp, which is always at about 67-68f spring water, unless the river floods in, then then colder (or warmer depending on season) river water will be "on top" of the 68f degree layer on bottom.

Seems that whatever water(spring or river) is warmer sits more ontop.

mike_s:
Too funny... I guess Matt has an "official acronym" now... SBM

This screenname has followed me for about a decade. I used to be really big into paintball and made custom parts. I designed a gun body, had it drawn in CAD to my specs, and had several cut with my name on them to be sold.

P1010007.sized.jpg

I'm sure the CAD guy and the miller were both happy that I have my own acronym, the full name woulda been tedious!

Back
Top Bottom