More pics from trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akbpilot

Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got some more pics from our trip uploaded to my album. I'll throw a couple batches on here to get folks headed down that way fired up.

The SW corner of the stingray pen shore diving from Blue Angel

IMG_0258_Cozumel_-_Blue_Angel_-_22-02-09_rsz.jpg

Sting Ray Pen - Blue Angel

Spotted Drum near the ray pen.

IMG_0274_Cozumel_-_Blue_Angel_-_22-02-09_rsz.jpg

Spotted Drum - Blue Angel

This pic turned out crappy, but I kept it for two reasons. First it was the smallest turtle I've ever seen, no bigger then the diameter of a paper plate. Second was the Sharksucker that was attached to it.

IMG_0310_Cozumel_-_Chankanaab_Shallows_-_24-02-09_rsz.jpg

Small Hawksbill w/Sharksucker

People ask what the current is like. Here's a pic from Chankanaab Shallows

IMG_0332_Cozumel_-_Chankanaab_Shallows_-_24-02-09_rsz.jpg

Current - Chankanaab Shallows

I like how these Gray Angels pair up, it's like they are joined.

IMG_0392_Cozumel_-_Santa_Rosa_Wall_-_26-02-09_rsz.jpg

Gray Angelfish Pair - Santa Rosa Wall

The diver in the pic was signaling a turtle he'd spotted when he turned to look at me. He was a bit surprised

IMG_0431_Cozumel_-_Paradise_-_26-02-09_rsz.jpg

Norman and Barracuda

These last three pics were taken within about 10 feet of each of other on Paradise reef.

I love this pic. It looks like he is PO'ed to the max that he is being bothered. I haven't ID'ed it yet for sure, I think it is a variety of sea bass. Anyone knows, shout out.

IMG_0449_Cozumel_-_Paradise_-_27-02-09_rsz.jpg

Unknown - Paradise

I guess when all you have is a little bit of cover the best you can do is hunker down and try to blend in.

IMG_0452_Cozumel_-_Paradise_-_27-02-09_rsz.jpg

Balloonfish - Paradise

This trunkfish was nearly tumbling across the sand in the current when I first saw it. It bumped into a bit of stuff on the bottom and got his composure back.

IMG_0450_Cozumel_-_Paradise_-_27-02-09_rsz.jpg

Smooth Trunkfish, sub-adult - Paradise

I'll post some more later when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the refresher akbpilot!

very nice

I'm pretty sure your unknown is a Harlequin Bass. My fish ID books are all in Coz though so I can't confirm.

Thanks Marg, I'll check that one out. I had two suspects, but neither were a real good match.

Nice diving with you over Christmas. Sorry to hear about the busted wing. Jeanne said to make sure you do the PT, and we both send wishes for a speedy recovery.

Nice shots -- both sets. Your little sea bass is a lantern bass. Positive ID.

I laughed out loud at the pic of the bass. The way the striping near his eye makes him look so mad is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. Three more weeks to Coz for me.

Bob

Nice shots -- both sets. Your little sea bass is a lantern bass. Positive ID.

Thanks, I checked out a few ID sites after you posted and Lantern Bass it is. I also found a couple of sites that used the name Harlequin Bass, as Marg suggested, in conjunction with Lantern Bass. Apparently in some circles, they are using both names. Other sites showed them as two similar, but distinctly differently marked fish.

I laughed out loud at the pic of the bass. The way the striping near his eye makes him look so mad is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. Three more weeks to Coz for me.

Bob

From what I was reading yesterday, their looks are not deceiving. Most of the IDs I looked at came from saltwater aquarium sites. Apparently Lantern Bass are a fairly common aquarium fish. They were described as easy to raise and feed, but it was noted they can be "highly aggressive towards other fish of all sizes". They stake out a piece of territory with a lair and defend it from anything that swims within the "zone".

Even though the ones you're writing about are small, all of the seabasses are predators, so I suppose they would be a concern in aquariums. The harlequin and lantern are different species. The lantern has a yellow mid-body stripe and reddish tones but the easiest way to ID it is by the line of 4 dots at the base of the tail. The harlequin has black and white or greenish and white blotches on a white background, sometimes fading to yellow below the midline, and many dots on its tail.

In Cozumel, the lantern is found in the rubble at the base of the reefs and in the sand flats -- the harlequin may be found in the same areas but also ventures to the tops of coral structures. Other small seabasses you'll commonly see with the lanterns in Coz, especially at Paradise, Villablanca and Colombia Shallows are chalk bass and tobaccofish. Less common is the dwarf sand perch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom