more photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divindon

Reaction score
Hi this picture was taken in 20 meters With the oly 4040z and pt010 housing on 18.08.2002 in Bunbeg Co Donegal Ireland.
Have several more will email them.

The resolution is 72 dpi original photo is 722kb
Regards

Donald. :)

Looks like a first cousin to our Caribbean Scorpionfish.

aap.sized.jpg

That is an award winning shot, Dee!!

Very nice.

I wish I could do that.

What does your setup run?? $2500.00???

I would have liked to gone digital but it was still too expensive.

U/W photography is such a hassle with the MXIIEX-it's a big setup, and loading the film, keeping water out of the camera. Then developing all those really bad shots I take....they cost me a fortune.

Digital seems like Nirvana.

Again,

COOL PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buff....I've been telling you Man, you can do digital on a budget! My set-up is...

Olympus C-4040z camera ~ $729. Price is lots cheaper now.
Olympus PT-010 housing ~ $290

The great thing about the Oly digital, and other digitals, is the light sensitivity of the lens. This picture was taken in about 40ft of water with only the internal flash. So if you can't afford an external strobe starting out, it's OK....you can still get some great pictures. You're good to go! And that zoom feature....oh buddy, it's a dream! No more distance guessing game for focusing.

I added a Sea & Sea YS90-DX strobe and fiber optic cable connection for $525. So that's just a tad over $1500. Add another $100 for a Maha NiMH Smart Charger, batteries and 128mg SmartMedia card and you're set up.

I used a S&S MMII for over 3 years and came to hate it! Dual strobes were a must for decent pictures and a huge hassle to deal with, the extra expense of processing the film only to throw over half of them away right off the bat! My very first try with the digital, other than about 5 shots in the pool, was our trip to Roatan this past March. I took right at 700 pictures and over 500 of them were keepers. That's counting the really trashy ones...lots better odds! Being able to see your pics when you take them let's you see how you're doing and you can correct anything you're doing wrong....you don't have to wait until you get home and spend all that money to have them developed first!

Come on over to the digital side.....you know you want to! :devil:

I'm just about ready to take the plunge to the Oly c4040z system.

Underwater digital has the housing (Olympus) for $250. They also have a package that includes a single S&S YS90DX strobe set up for $934. Just need to find out if they will ship to an FPO address.

I've seen the camera advertised for as low as $500. But these WEB pages were not getting good customer reviews. Seems if you don't purchase a lot of expensive add ons, the cheaper cameras are not in stock. The best price appears to be 610-650.

So, with S&H I'm looking at about $1600 if I get the strobe right away. From everything I've read, that isn't even necessary to start with. This set up does quite well with just the internal flash.

Dee, had a question about the stobe set up. Is it possible to add a second strobe? I've seen double set ups, but not with the S&S. Not sure I'd ever need a second from what I've been reading about the S&S strobe. I'm used to my Reefmaster where the second strobe really was necessary and made a big difference.

I just purchased a second YS60 strobe for my MXIIEX!!!

My wife would butcher me if I bought a new camera.

Why didn't you tell me earlier, Dee???!!!!................(gentle weeping and sobbing...........)

All the time.....all the film waster with the MXII.......

The only positive side I can see is the MXII is depth rated to 150' and the Olympus housing only to 90'. I'm afraid that I have to pretend like that is why I shouldn't get a digital camera-shallow depth rating........yeah, that's it!!!! I rationalized that one away.

Know anyone who wants a slightly used MXIIEX????

Maybe I will go digital.......

I mean, I don't have a Harley fetish, I got rid of the girlfriend-wife didn't like her, and I don't like expensive cars....

What's left to waste my money on? And the economy needs my help.

AliKat once bubbled...
....Dee, had a question about the stobe set up. Is it possible to add a second strobe? I've seen double set ups, but not with the S&S. Not sure I'd ever need a second from what I've been reading about the S&S strobe. I'm used to my Reefmaster where the second strobe really was necessary and made a big difference.

Yes, you can add a second S&S strobe. I haven't done it but Jeff Farris, aka Digitaldiver, added a second S&S strobe a while back with good results. A second strobe isn't necessary for great pictures but if you're going for those perfect 'magazine' shots you may want to consider it.

I doubt I'll ever add a second strobe. One of the reasons for going digital in the first place was for a smaller set-up and I'm really tired of dealing with 2 strobes but it's nice to know it's possible to do so if I wish to in the future.

How do you get the 4040 to always flash? I used it for the first time this past weekend...had a lot of fun, but need the flash! BTW-the video clips are great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom