More old steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So my coworker has been asking me about some tanks he recently picked up at a yard sale. Pics attached:

Tank markings as follows:

ICC3AA1800
K90937
USD

4CL68+

ICC3AA1800

K91184

USD

4CL68+

Steel tanks born in April 1968 last hyrdo'd in 1980 with a service rating of 1800+10%, is that correct? (I believe US Divers brand, though I've read that Luxfer actually produced them.)
Any way to obviously tell what size they are?

EDIT: Forgot pics: also, tank height is 24.5 inches to the neck... no diameter known yet

Attachments

• Troytank 1.jpg
    Troytank 1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 250
  • Troytank 2.jpg
    Troytank 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Troytank3.jpg
    Troytank3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Troytank4.jpg
    Troytank4.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 223
If they pass inspection they will be OK. I have a steel from 1962 that I bought for $5. It was a firehouse yard sale.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Looks like a nice setup,wouldn't mind having those myself. My only concern would be if they where originally lined. I've lost a couple of old tanks that had corrosion under the lining.

I've got an old Royal Aquamaster that would look great on them.

He's looking to sell these tanks if anyone's interested. I was fishing for details before trying to put up a classified ad. He's even willing to trade the pair (with bands and manifold) for an AL80 or something that is in hydro.

EDIT: I did have him take off the boots and make sure there's no ridiculous corrosion there, and apparently they have air in the tanks still...

I believe that they are 53 cf with the 1800 rating.

Mike Nelson would have loved them..........:)

Looking at the 68 catalog my guess is they are 53's. Nice little tanks if you want a small nicely balanced set of doubles. There is one thing about these tanks you really need to consider if they are 1800s. I have a similar pair of 38s and love them but I WILL NOT let anyone else fill them, at least not without me standing directly over them. All I need is for some tank monkey to cram 3K into them. At worst they blow the burst disc but there is the possibly they would damage them. Its not like they can just order a new set and frankly, they would not like the amount I would want for them. Unless you have some interest in vintage, it may be best to pass on them.

I have two single tanks like those that I use as ID's. Great little tanks. The LDS fills them to 2200psi. The harness is cool. I have one just like it.
I took the harness off and bolted the bands to a B/P for use on my ID's. So far the bands fit 53's 72's and 94 CUFT LP tanks.

I'm with you Herman. Had my local shop hydro and VIP my 38's, caught the kid at the fill station trying to fill to 3000. Caught him around 2500 and bleed them down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could you guys please help me ID a tank for sale on my local craigslist? Seller's description:

Steel tank, yellow with J valve
DOT 3 AA 225
HJ 202287 70 +
5 B 90

Usually I have a decent idea what I'm looking at but I'm not sure how to read this one. Looks to have been born in 1970, hydro'd in 1990. What are its capacity and fill pressure? What is it worth? I'll have a look at it today and post some pics if that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom