More lense info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a 7000 and still need help with lens choice,
I see a lot of conversation on the 60mm and 105mm.
is there an advantage to going with a faster fstop 1.4 or 1.8 50mm? im guessing it works better in the low light?

maybe since we have flash it is not really needed? I like the idea of a shorter lens for better focus and light, but maybe my thinking is broken? is depth of field too short at these F-Stops?

Do slr housings allow you to adjust all of the settings underwater? are there things not available on the lens?

and last question: I was shooting a long telephoto in a dark auditorium (my daughter graduated- yay). and put the ISO to something like 6400 and the pictures came out fine, since I started in film I would never have done this but figured with digital it would be ok, is that something yall do underwater? I have always been shooting around ISO 200.

looking forward to learning by doing as soon as I get a housing.:D

I have a D7000 as well. I chose the 50 1.8 over the 1.4 because of price, to be honest, and the 1.8 actually seemed to focus faster. I don't use this camera in the water (at least not yet).

Have you shot with a 50mm? (Q to the OP)

I have the 50/F1.8, because of cost. It's a nice, sharp, fast lens...that I NEVER use. Now, I just got an u/w DSLR housing, but I've been shooting DSLR topside for 10y... and I NEVER use that lens... it collects dust. To be honest it is a "wierd" FL for a DX sensor (which your 7000 has).

The ability to adjust all settings depends on the housing but I would suggest that any housing worth it's weight should have access to the two control dials on the DSLR, meaning you can adjust speed/aperture.

ISO to me is personal taste, and what you're using the photo for. People have different tolerances for noise, and usage may not be succeptible. If your goal is maximum print size noise will make a difference, if it is 600x800 internet posts/site, then high-iso noise is likely irrelevant with these advanced sensors. On land I keep ISO as low as I can until I can't get a good exposure with the speed/aperture I need for the shot, then I will up ISO. I will take the same approach underwater as well.

Hope this helps a little!

I have been shooting my D7000 underwater since its release over 2 years ago.
The reason why people choose the 60mm and 105mm Nikkor lenses is because they are Macro (micro) lenses and have the ability capture 1:1 aspect and have close focus. These lenses are almost always used with a strobe as most often they are shooting small subjects with a narrow aperture (high f-stop) and often with a high shutter speed to get a darken background.
Regarding ISO, when shooting with a macro lens and strobe your relying on the light source solely from the strobe which is lighting up the area right infront of the lens and not much more. With the D7000 I use the lowest ISO which is 100 and some might use ISO200 depending on the strobes used.

As a general starting point I use these settings with my Nikon D7000 with 60mm Macro lens and 2x Ikelite DS161 strobes: ISO100, f20, 1/160-1/320th depending on the effect your after. Strobes 3/4-full power.

Hope this helps

Regards Mark

The minimum focus distance on the 50mm is 1.5 feet and at this distance it does not shoot 1:1. The only thing you could shoot with this lens are reef fish, maybe a small shark. But with a better min focus distance The 40mm is still abetter choice for this application. I really see no advantage of shooting the 50mm lens underwater. The 60mm +105 are MUCH etter choices for macro.

Back
Top Bottom