More intro questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asiders9

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I finally have some money to buy either a camera housing for my D70s or buy a video camera and a housing and learn video. I am stuck between which to buy right now. I love still because you can look at still images forever but I like video because it allows you to capture more of the whole scene and the motion of everything.

Anyway if I get a D70s housing I was planning on getting the ikelite housing, because it is one of the cheaper ones(only one I can really afford) but I have heard good things about it. What I am afraid of most either way I go is floods. It scares the hell of out me to know that a single hair can ruin a camera.

I was wondering if I got a flood, would it ruin the lens too or just the camera? Do they still happen no matter how careful you are?

What type of lens is it best to use for beginning underwater? The only lenses I own that I could take underwater are a 18-70mm and a 50mm. Would either of these be ok?

Something that recently came to my attention was focusing underwater. Do I have to buy something to do this or do you just prefocus before the dive and position yourself to the correct focus?

I really love diving and want to try to make a career out of underwater photo or video but everything is just so EXPENSIVE!. I would love to get a set-up for my still camera but also want to get into video and it amazes me that I can get a good video camera and housing for the price of a still housing and port. It's tough too because I can't spend too much money because I want to go diving this summer because what's the point of having equipment if you can't dive?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

A flood would ruin both lens and camera. It's the fear of a flood that keeps my camera dry. You can always insure.

Given the cost of getting into using a DSLR UW, I would consider getting a newer camera too. The D90 will last you many more years and will also do video. If you would rather continue using the D70, may I suggest looking for a 2nd hand housing. The prices of new housings don't vary too much with camera models (Unless you are going high end). Once the D70 is completely obsolete, you will have a hard time selling the housing too.

Keep in mind that you have a lot more to buy than just the housing....ports, strobes, cables, arms.....it isn''t cheap (but oh so worth it!)

If I had only 1 lens that I could pick, it would be the 60mm F2.8 Macro. It can do portraits and close ups. It is probably the most versatile and simplest lens to use underwater. The 50 you won't be able to use and the 18-70 isn't too good UW....(unless it's the Sigma 17-70 Macro which is an ok general purpose UW lens).

If finances are a concern, try to get the stuff 2nd hand. As for still vs video, I prefer still. I love sharing my UW exploits with my family and friends. Sadly, many have less interest and time to sit through a whole video and would much rather "Ooh and Ahh" at a good photo. Photos are also so much easier to distribute and have the possibility of being turned into decent gifts such as large prints or a calendar (which I made for 2009).

You can also consider getting a G10, housing and single strobe. It would be a lot cheaper than a DSLR outfit. It is an incredible camera will all the manual controls you are familiar with. It's no DSLR (in terms of photo quality) but comes pretty close. You will have less cost transitioning between Wide angle and macro (less ports to buy, lenses, etc) and will not be tethered to a single lens choice during a dive. It will also do a little video assuming you have a large enough card. Given your predicament, this would probably be my first choice of the options available. I would then decide within a year or two if I want to move into DSLR, then sell the G10 and get a new camera and housing later. The G10 and housing would probably be worth more than a D70 and housing by then!

Video vs. Still
We do both so I am lucky, but when I go to grab a camera it is usually the still. To me it is more challenging. IMHO still images are harder to get right from the start. Video takes more time and hardware to post process if you like that aspect then video is great.

Agree with buying used, check here and Wetpixel, great way to save. Lenses, 60mm excellent, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 17-70mm are a good start. Don't forget you will need strobes. IMHO Still tends to be more expensive than video because of all the lenses.

Thanks Eskasi for the G10 ideas! I don't know why I never considered a nice point and shoot because I'd also have money to get a strobe. I'm really looking into this now. I can still go diving now too and when I decide to move up to DSLR, I'll already have a strobe. You don't have any idea how excited I am now! I was just wondering, with this housing

Ikelite | 6146.10 TTL Underwater Housing for Can | 6146.10 | B&H

I don't need a port correct? I will be able to use any focal length of the lens in this housing?

Also, are strobes much of a worry for flooding? What would be a good strobe choice? I don't want to skimp on the strobes because I want to have great colors without all of my pictures turning out blue. I thought the ds-125 looked good but I want some other opinions. Will I want more punch than this starting out?

Thanks

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom