More Fin Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LadyIce

Reaction score
Hi to Everyone

Seems Like I need some input in regards to fins. I am looking at getting 3 pairs of fins. The ones that I'm looking at are the Volo's, Quattro's and the Avanti x3's. From what I have heard from the LDS's in my area is that there are problems with the hinge and where the foot meets the fin on the Volo's. The Quattro's have been around for awhile and have proven themselves as a really good fin. My question to anyone - out of these three fins how would you rate them ? Best fin for the money? Basically anything good and bad about them. We just got cert. this past summer so still new to the sport. All three of us are OW. My husband and myself are ummmm lets just say older people and my daughter is 16. She has her eye on the Volo's but my pocket book says maybe not.

LadyIce

Lady Ice,

I can only comment on the Quattros. They were our fins of choice and we loved them. I wear size 13 shoes, making the Quattros just marginal in the foot pocket. That will not likely be a problem for your daughter...unless her name is Amazona...

One problem Barbara had was pulling on the release...that was hard on her fingernails. So I made a slight modification by putting in a plastic ring that made it easier...much easier...to pull on the release. I think that new releases are easier to use.

All that said, we switched last year to split fins...Appollos...and have never looked back! But that is a price tag of a different color...

Joewr...

LadyIce, I have not tried any of the three fins you are looking at, but I do have buddies who like the Quatros. Personally, I prefer a fin that will last longer. The lifespan of tupperware isn't great.

Joe, I tried the Apollo Bios. They are definately an excellent fin. Of the many fins I've tried they rate # 3 IMHO. I've yet to find a fin that beats Jets.

WWW™

Are you okay? No problems with the storm?

We did not use our Quattros 'til extinction, but because the polymer that they are made of is very "scratchable" and very stiff I wondered what their lifetime would be. Now, I will not know...

I have never used the Jets, but know folks who hold them as dearly as their children! Someday I will give them a try, but I sure like the Appollos!

Take care...

Joewr...

I use Quattros and I like them just fine. They are a large fin so you need some leg strength with them. I like the buckle system too! I doubt there will be any problems with durability with them...they seem pretty well made to me.

LadyIce,

You have made a good short list for fins selection.

I have been using my VOLO's for over a year. I have about 50 dives on them under various dive conditions. I have been very pleased with the fins. The performance is very impressive.

I keep hearing these antidotal stories of VOLO hinge failure. These stories are predominately coming from LDS'. Coould it be the profit motitive??

I have yet to talk to anyone with complaints or seen any reports of failure. I inspect my VOLO's frequently and have not seen any evidence of wear. This may become another urban legend.

Quattro's are very popular and have an excellent reputation. I like them when I want a stiffer fin than the VOLO's.

Go with what feels most comfortable and give the best performance. You're the one who has to use them.

DSAO

Originally posted by large_diver
Joewr -- size 13s of the world unite!

L_D,

I never imagined someone named Large_Diver would have large feet! But, at least, it is difficult to tip us over!

Joewr...we are united...all two of us...

Originally posted by joewr

L_D,

I never imagined someone named Large_Diver would have large feet! But, at least, it is difficult to tip us over!

Joewr...we are united...all two of us...

Joe,

Big feet are not a real plus when you are constantly putting them in your mouth.... lol

But if I had size 6 feet I'd constantly tip over and those seismologists who monitor earthquakes and tremors would constantly checking to see if I fell or if this was a legit tremor

Originally posted by syruss32

Joe,

Big feet are not a real plus when you are constantly putting them in your mouth

Syruss,

You must be reading the TeK Section these days...

Oh, yes, if I can change topics for a second...I am off to babysit my granddaughter now, but when I get back, I plan to view your photos...looking forward to it...

Joewr...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom