Moon stage suggestion for diving in Galapagos liveaboard and Socorro island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, would like to get your suggestion on the right moon stage (full moon/half moon or new moon period) to dive in those two islands:

Plan to dive in Galapagos in Aug/Sep: some operations told me the viz will be really bad during full moon, so better avoid that, some told me there will more sharks during full moon.. since I heard generally (regardless of moon stage) the viz is not that good anyway, so wondering if it still makes a difference.

Plan to dive Socorro in Feb/Mar: similar question, is the moon stage makes a difference?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I don't know about the moon, but avoid sharks born between October 23 to November 22.

I was in Galapagos in August, right around a full moon. Conditions were pretty rough and the dive guides attributed some of it to the moon being full. I would avoid diving around the full moon next time, just to be safe.

The other disadvantage to diving around a full moon is that, despite being far away from any light sources, we really couldn't see many stars at night :(

I was in Galapagos in August, right around a full moon. Conditions were pretty rough and the dive guides attributed some of it to the moon being full. I would avoid diving around the full moon next time, just to be safe.

The other disadvantage to diving around a full moon is that, despite being far away from any light sources, we really couldn't see many stars at night :(

Thank you so much, super helpful! Did you see many more animals (whaleshark/hammerheads) during the full moon and is the visibility acceptable?

Thank you so much, super helpful! Did you see many more animals (whaleshark/hammerheads) during the full moon and is the visibility acceptable?
This was my wife's second trip and she saw more the previous time, so I definitely don't think we saw MORE animals because of the moon. We did see a lot however, including two mola molas and 6-8 whale sharks.

I think describing the viz as "acceptable" is a good way of describing it. Some on our boat were disappointed, but I got the feeling that they were used to gin-clear conditions, which you won't get it Galapagos.

Again, I would probably avoid scheduling around a full moon, but if that is the only time you can go, I don't think it is a deal killer. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure you have enough thermal protection. The water is pretty cold in August, especially after a few dives. My wife and I were very glad we brought our dry suits, otherwise we would have skipped a couple of dives, which is the last thing you want to do in the Galapagos because every dive is so special. If you aren't a dry suit diver, you might want to consider semi dry.

Best,

I did Socorro last year during the full moon and wouldn't do it again. The currents were manageable but the surge was nuts - it really threw us around on some dives. The animal action was ok but I suspect given feedback from other divers that have gone at other times or same time but different moon cycles, that it would be much better without full moon.

Back
Top Bottom