Monterey -- temps / exposure suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladycute1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, folks, I am basically a 'candy-ass' diver -- warm water only --

But, living so close to Monterey has piqued my curiosity. However, I have, shall we say, 'wet suit issues' -- (let's not even discuss it) --- So here's my question (s) --

When is the warmest time in Monterey?
How warm is it then?
and... in your experience what is the lightest weight wetsuit acceptable?

Thanks.

Liz

Hi. Some of the more experienced Monterey hands will probably chime in, but I'll share my personal experience with you. Namely, a wetsuit did not keep me warm enough to enjoy diving in Monterey. The cold raises your anxiety level and lowers your mental and physical acuity. I never experienced cold like that in the many years that I dove with a wetsuit along the Santa Barbara County coast and Channel Islands.

In my opinion, a drysuit is well worth the investment. I bought a Viking for $700 from Bob3, who is a dealer and scubaboard regular. Plus, it fits like a big ol' hefty bag (except the seals, of course! :tease: This avoids the well-known wetsuit "issues".

If you do go with a wetsuit, some of the women on the board have raved about the Henderson hyperstretch or some such. There's lots of info on the "women only" section, not that I'd know anything about that...

Check out the Friendly Friday charters on the Cypress Sea for some good introductory dives in Monterey before you decide to commit the $$$. I think you can rent drysuits at some of the Monterey LDS's.

Hal,

Thanks for your response.

I have a custom hyperstretch 3mm. It's great.

I am interested in trying a dry suit, but haven't been able to find a rental that would fit me.... (again -- that's another thread)

I'll wait to hear more from the Monterrey regulars.

Thanks again.

Liz

I've only dove in Monterey, with the exception of the resort course I took in Mexico that got me hooked on this stuff. Anyways, the water temp in Monterey is pretty consistent the whole year round. It's just the above water temp that changes. When I took my last cert class in January '02 the water temp was about 51 degrees according to my computer. I went diving there 2 weeks ago and the water was 57 degrees. I dive in a 6.5 mm wetsuit and I'm just fine in Monterey waters. I am however taking my drysuit specialty next month just to try it out. It has nothing to do with being cold underwater, it's just that putting on a cold wetsuit at 6:00 AM for a second day of Monterey diving just isn't too fun.

Mel

I dive in Monterey and Carmel almost exclusively, and wear a 7mm semi-dry, which is fine most of the time, but I've hit thermoclines at 60' which have made me shiver. Usually my buddy complains before me about being cold, and they're diving normal wetsuits without the seals of the semi-dry (which is still a wetsuit - there's nothing "dry" about it by the ned of the dive). I wouldn't want to dive Monterey in less than a 6.5mm wetsuit anytime of the year. Ditto on melfox26's computer - I've dived in 50 to 60 degree water, with 52-54 being the most common.

There are a couple of places in Monterey that makes custom wetsuits if fit is an issue - just do a search on www.google.com, or ask at a local dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom