Monterey or Seattle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Say you had maybe two days in either Monterey or Seattle for diving during the last week in October; which location has better diving? I'm a new diver with about 40 dives. I've got about 15 dives in our cold local quarry in a 7mm for AOW and a drysuit for my drysuit cert. Which one would have better biodiversity and vis? I'd love to be able to dive with some sea lions/seals... probably do a night dive too.

I was thinking Seattle since I've got a buddy who lives about an hour away but he's got a baby due right around that time so there's maybe a 40% chance I would actually be able to meet up with him.

monterey/carmel is a crapshoot. about 50/50 that a given weekend will have good conditions. october is usually decent though. if you can get to pt lobos, that is your best bet for the area.

I used to live in both areas. I would suggest seeing if you can schedule an octopus dive in Puget Sound.

-Z

Octopus dive? Any shops you would recommend?

I have been living in Africa and now Europe since early 2010. The last place I lived in the US was Monterey (2009-2010) and I was stationed in Washington just north of Seattle from 2004-2008 (Whidbey Island and then Everett).

It has been too long for me to suggest a dive operation but I do know that Puget Sound is home to an abundance of Octopuses. Both Puget sound and Monterey Bay are cold, relatively speaking, year round, so from that standpoint neither is more favorable over the other. If you have never dived the kelp beds of Monterey and the idea of the "possibility" of sea lions dancing around you is of interest then Monterey is the choice....I did not do a lot of diving while I was there but I did not find the little I did do all that spectacular. I don't recall much along the bottom that was interesting and there seemed to be a lot of instructors conducting OW checkout dives with their students. This could have been a function of the limited time I had to dive and when we went, you may find it different.

Sorry I can't be of more help on who to contact, I would recommend doing a google search for Octopus diving in Puget Sound and then put a post on here asking about experience with those operations.

Good luck and happy diving.

-Z

Maybe add Catalina to the mix?
I was going to suggest that if you are open to another location and given the time of year you are looking at, I would encourage you to consider the Channel Islands. Water temps will be much warmer and visibility should be at its best also. Catalina is certainly an option, but if your availability to dive coincides with a weekend (Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday), I would encourage you to go out on any of the dive boats from Ventura that will go out for day trips to Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands. The kelp will be awesome, chances of sea lion and seal encounters are much higher as well. You have 3 airport choices: LAX, Burbank or Santa Barbara (SBA).
Here is a list of dive operators for you to consider:
The Raptor: They provide tanks and weights, but do not normally goon Friday's, but always go out on Saturday and Sunday (unless weather doesn't allow) Custom 46 foot Newton and is fastest dive boat going out of Ventura: Welcome to the Raptor Dive Charters Website located in Ventura Harbor, California
The Explorer: Will need to rent tanks and weights: Explorer Diving Aventures - Dive Boat Location
The Spectre: Will need own tanks and weights: The Spectre Dive Boat | Diving Santa Cruz Islands on Spectre Dive Boat
The Peace: Will need own tanks and weights- can rent from them- looks like they only have a 3 day charter going out the end of October- not day trips- http://www.peaceboat.com/

Lastly, The Raptor is associated with and owned by Ventura Dive and Sport. It is a full service dive shop located at the marina and steps away from their boat and a good place to purchase or rent anything else you might need, regardless of which boat you choose to dive with: Welcome to Ventura Dive & Sport

Check out the live Kelp Cam at Anacapa Island: Kelp Forest Cam - live underwater video from Anacapa Island | Explore.org

catalina will have warmer temperatures and better vis. you get a few things like giant sea bass and garabaldi you won't see up north. a better option in some ways than doing the breakwater or pt lobos/monastery.

I like the look of the Channel Islands... I would likely be flying in on Saturday the 21st so that would limit me on the weekend dives. Might be able to do a Friday night flight but that might be rough trying to make a 7-8am boat the next morning. I could definitely do a Sunday boat; what are the odds of a Monday/Tuesday boat going out?

I like the look of the Channel Islands... I would likely be flying in on Saturday the 21st so that would limit me on the weekend dives. Might be able to do a Friday night flight but that might be rough trying to make a 7-8am boat the next morning. I could definitely do a Sunday boat; what are the odds of a Monday/Tuesday boat going out?
I am thinking you meant that you will be coming in on Saturday the 20th? If so, yes, you could get out on Sunday the 21st with any of the operators. Unfortunately, the Raptor is only doing a 2 tank, instead of 3 tank dive on the 21st. All other operators should be doing 3 tanks. Nobody goes out on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday. The Spectre is running trips on Thursday and Friday the 25th and 26th-- if those dates work for you. These are all day trips, so you could go out on Sunday the 21st and then maybe a 2nd day trip on the Spectre the 25th?

Back
Top Bottom