Monterey Juveniles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This year we've been seeing amazing numbers of Fry and Juvenile fish. I've never seen anything like this in Monterey, although I've only been diving here about 5 years, but others who have been here much longer say they haven't seen this kind of breeding activity either.
This one looks like it might grow up to be a Kelp Rockfish
P3010012-01cropsm.jpg

This little guy is definitely a Gopher Rockfish
P1180010-01cropsm.jpg

so is this one, I think
P1190060-01cropsm.jpg

The black spot on the dorsal fin makes this one a Canary
P2220021-01cropsm.jpg

Without the spot, it could be this Vermillion
P3010025-01croppssm.jpg

A tiny male Kelp Greenling
P3010016-01cropsm.jpg

Here's a little Crevice Kelpfish
P1180020-01cropsm.jpg

and an adolescent Lingcod
P1190104-01cropsm.jpg

Even an anemone has to start somewhere, like this miniature Metridium on Red Bryozoan
P5180170-01cropsm.jpg

This pair of Painted Greenlings are working on a family of their own. The darker male has changed color to attract a mate. I hear this dance can go on for days.
P5240006-01cropsm.jpg

Finally, there has been a population explosion topside. These young Sea Lions even took over the bathrooms at one point, necessitating a new fence. There were so many on the dock that they sank part of it. Unfortunately, where there are too many, nature takes some away. I hear they buried about 40 of the little guys on the beach last week.
5-09SeaLionsontheRamp005cropsm.jpg

5-09SeaLionsontheRamp018cropsm.jpg

5-09SeaLionsontheRamp026sm.jpg

6-09SeaLionsattheBreakwater185sm.jpg

Excellent Photos! The miniature Metridium is dazzling. I've seen a lot of juvenile Kelp and Gopher Rockfish recently as well. On a few dives ago there was a huge school of juvenile Kelp rockfish swimming intermingled with a school of Senoritas. It kind of confused me at first on what they were "since I've never scene any rockfish school in that manner", but after looking at your shots its obvious what they were. Thanks for sharing.

Nice shots Larry. I love the one of all the seals on the boat ramp. It's my understanding they are a protected species in California so they can't be chased away, even by humane means? Wonder what will happen when there is enough of them to overpower all the shoreline facilities? Seems close to that from your photo?

Thanks Frank & Jim.

I love the one of all the seals on the boat ramp. It's my understanding they are a protected species in California so they can't be chased away, even by humane means? Wonder what will happen when there is enough of them to overpower all the shoreline facilities? Seems close to that from your photo?

They are protected here. You're not supposed to get withing 50 feet, but when they're on the ramp it's hard to enforce. The fish & game folks and the folks from the mammal center will try to keep the tourists back a bit. (I saw a family of eight with a two year old leaning on the metal rail 4 inches from the face of a sharp-toothed, foul mouthed, bacteria laden Sea Lion while Dad took pictures. If they try to touch, they get busted-or bit!) They'll also shoo them off the ramp with a broom, or use a hose to get them and their smell out of the bathroom. This is the only time I've ever seen them up top like that though. Occasionally a big male will decide the dock is his and you have to edge around him to get to your boat. One chased my wife and son off the dock after the second time that she had shooed him into the water so she could get to the boat. He was about 7 feet long and probably 800lbs, and he lunged and barked, so he won that one.

Those are excellent pictures Larry :)

We have seen swarms of baby fishies on the North Coast at times.

I was at BW Monday. the sea lions were still there but not as many as I see in your shots.
I couldn't believe the parents that were letting their children get too close to the sleeping sea lions on the dock. I warned them they could be bitten, but that didn't seem to have much impact. go figure.

Thanks Peter & Gene. Brewski, they learn when they or their children get bit or nearly bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom