Monterey Fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I shot this badly lit fish on the shale last weekend at about 50ft. Can't find it in either of my Pacific coast fish books, but I might be looking in the wrong places. Some sort of Sculpin I presume. Any help out there?

PB260070-01pssm.jpg

PB260068-01pssm.jpg

It looks like some sort of scorpion fish to me....just a guess.

Joe

A sculpin of some sort. ID can be really hard. Not a snubnose.

Unlikely to be a scorpionfish because AFAIL, the California Scorpionfish is the only one
we get, and they are very rare (I've got 1200 dives in Monterey and I've never seen
one).

In this day and age, never rule out an exotic.:shakehead

It is hard to tell, but, I might lean towards a Brown Irish Lord. Some of the tell-tell signs according to Andy Lamb in Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest and Paul Humann in Coastal Fish Identification California to Alaska, are not visible in your pictures. Two of the key characterisitics are the dorsal fin being a single dorsal fin with 3 distinct step like notches and also a horizontal band of 6 to 8 scales wide along the dorsal fin.

I have never seen a Brown Irish Lord since we don't have them here in Puget Sound, but I first thought when I saw this picture was Red Irish Lord. But, upon further research, I think I might lean more towards the Brown Irish Lord instead. The Red Irish lord only has a band of 4 to 5 scales wide along the dorsal fin.

Another key difference between the Brown and the Red Irish lords is that the Brown has fleshy flaps over the nostrils.

Just some thoughts...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom