Monterey bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How is the diving? I am in the area every 2 months for work. Historically a warm water diver but happy to adjust if the diving is worth it. Appreciate the insight. Thank you

Is it dry suit required or can your survive in a wet suit? Looks amazing.

Is it dry suit required or can your survive in a wet suit? Looks amazing.
Many dive Monterey wet, you can spot them easily by the blank stare of shock :wink:

it really depends on your personal tolerance, in my youth I could handle it in a good 3 mil now I’m dry and have an electric vest. I have a Hollis 8mm that I can do about 35-40 minutes in up to 60 and I’m in danger of biting my mouthpiece off of the reg.

you wont know until you try.

Agree with what's been said about it sometimes can be really bad, but most of the time, it is great diving. There are so many great locations around the bay from Breakwater to Monastery and many in between (McAbee, Point Lobos, Lovers Point, etc). I dive there with a fair degree of frequency (usually a few days a month. heading there today and will dive through monday evening). I dive it with a 7mm semi-dry suit, 5mm gloves and a hood. While it gets a little chilly, its worth it when the vis is good. Typical dive there for me is usually 60-70 minutes. September is my favorite month to dive around the area as the water is warmer and the vis seems to be fantastic in that month. When there, I try and get 4 dives in per day and have never been so cold that I didn't want to dive.

Breakwater Cove is a great place to feel it out when you first go. Head out to wall marker 7, descend and coast along the wall. Lots to see with beautiful kelp, otters, sea lions and fish everywhere. I know a lot of people hate cold water and diving the cove on a weekend, but hit it on a weekday and you may find yourself having the place to yourself. Its a fantastic place to blow bubbles.

Agree with what's been said about it sometimes can be really bad, but most of the time, it is great diving.

So true. My most memorable dives have been in Carmel Bay. I will hit 60 years of diving this year and have dove quite a few places all over the northern hemisphere. It is worth monitoring this forum pinned to the top of the NorCal forum to get a sense of conditions.

Great diving, sometimes not great diving, cold, sometimes really cold.

Also agree that I have some dives where I'm like... meh.

But mostly good to great diving, various fish, nudis, crabs, pinnipeds, even birds at depth.

I've had some folks who've tried local diving and they just dont really get into it - they only do warm water. I will say, warm water diving has more colorful fish, and its easier diving, better viz, no thick suits, weights

I've dove 15 yrs + in a wetsuit. Some folks couldn't do it w/out a drysuit. It all depends on your cold tolerance.

Only dive Monastary on very calm days and enter/exit at very edges of the beach. It is a great site though.

Welcome.

Monastery Beach has the nickname Mortuary Beach. There's useful information about it, and all other places, at CaliforniasBestBeaches.com. I haven't gone there (yet) but my understanding from my experienced friends is, it's extraordinary.

Back
Top Bottom