monte ne amphitheater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
has anyone been to the Monte ne amphitheater in arkansas on Beaver lake?
I just found out about it from a co-worker and local dive shop owner.
the place looks fantastic! if anyone has been to this hidden spot please share!

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has ever dived this place.
I am thinking about giving it a shot?

I have been their its tucked up into a cove and very dark most of the time but right now since the viz is so good might be a good time to see it. give me a yell and I'll go with you.

Attachments

• 163708_190595584302488_1183054_n.jpg
    163708_190595584302488_1183054_n.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 618
  • 179864_190594904302556_5334065_n.jpg
    179864_190594904302556_5334065_n.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,161
Avonthediver,
I just found this old thread while looking for information on Monte Ne. Do you have a clearer version of the first attached image? It is hard to read the text on there. I'm looking at trying to dive there this spring sometime.

Slow afternoon so...

RevisedSkipperMonteNemap.jpg

from: Underground Ozarks :: View topic - Monte Ne Questions

Located it on Google Earth:
MonteNe.jpg

beaver.jpg

.vbulletin mangles image sizes so if you open the 1st image in a new browser window then zoom in you can read the street names.

That looks like it could be an interesting dive...looks like most of that area is submerged. I imagine I see the shadow of the lagoon just to the right of where I added the thumbnail - there's a little darker strip bisecting the channel in the first image I posted.

It could be that little piece of land out in the channel to the right of the thumbnail also - depends on how accurate "Skipper's" map was.
I based my location as being straight down from the "Y' off Pyramid rd. as shown on his map.

Google Maps shows a lot of floating/dead trees in that area around it if you zoom in. Also two boats small moored nearby. I'd guess the fishing might be pretty good around it - might want to make sure you have backup linecutters. With all those levels in the original structure, some of it must still be visible. How deep is Beaver Lake in that spot?

Avonthediver,
I just found this old thread while looking for information on Monte Ne. Do you have a clearer version of the first attached image? It is hard to read the text on there. I'm looking at trying to dive there this spring sometime.

Yes I do I'll try and get a better pic of my map for you. The map diversteve has posted is about like mine and is a good guide as well as the Google Earth photos he has posted. Ok this is my take on this dive so take it with a grain of salt haha! This is a boat dive as of right now the lake is at normal pool and the water is back to the tree line with no good walkin. by the end of summer the lake is usually down ten feet so you can start to see the theater top level. this is a hard site to do with any good viz I have been to this site every year since I found out about it and at best 5ft out of 10 dives 1-2ft is the norm.
That being said this is a way cool site and I have been inside the doors and around the main stage at around 50ft I have been trying to get good photos for a long time but the cove will not allow it!
fine the center stair and count them from the old photo and the when you dive do the same and with five to six swim kicks you can find the edege of the stage.
Good luckand if you do want to try it give me a shout and I'll help as much as I can!....... Oh and bring a "BIG" lite!!!! :wink:

Thanks for posting the map diversteve. Also thanks for the information Avonthediver, and I look forward to your updated map as well. I know the visibility can be pretty poor that far down the lake. That's kind of why I was asking now. It seems like in the spring there can be very good visibility provided that there hasn't been any recent rains. I was thinking sometime in April to early May might be a good time to check it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom