Monsoon season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

browncd81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was thinking about doing a trip to the Philippines after I leave China in late July. The dates would be somewhere around the 24th of July until about August 1st. I understand this is during monsoon season for a lot (or all) of the country. Any advice here? Should I pass and go some other time or is monsoon season really not that bad in the Philippines?

Thanks

Come to the Philippines. You can always go to one of the 7107 islands that is having great weather.

It will be fine. You will always have the option to move around and check the weather prior. Weather is normally very different from visayas, luzon and mindanao and furthermore, it doesn't always rain during monsoon due to this climate change. Last year we dove throughout July to August (almost every weekend).

Monsoon is no an issue BUT typhoon....as you only allowed yourself the luxury of one week in the country.
Keep an eye on typhoon2000.com for the warning.
Visayas is less than likely to be affected with the exception of Eastern Samar.
Fly to Cebu directly from China and you have the choice of Bohol, Dumaguette, Malapascua, Moalboal and Southern Leyte etc etc.
By the way, typhoon probably never reach General Santos at all in Mindanao.
Make it at least 2-3 weeks.

Keep in mind you may not be able to get on or off some of the small islands during inclement weather as the average banka can not handle very rough seas. I've been stuck a couple of times for an extra day or I have gotten off an island early due to weather. Oh, one time I was watching my fellow travelers make the sign of the cross as we tried to stay dry between the waves washing over us and the rain coming down on top. Typhoons can make the water pretty choppy for miles around so dive shops may have to keep you close to shore or not dive at all. Airport traffic is not affected unless the typhoon eye is very near.

There is no monsoon in the Philippines...and typhooooons can come or go any time of year. We dive all year round, everyday....in 7 years here I think I've seen 3 days lost to bad weather...

Back
Top Bottom