MONDO Kudos to Splashdown divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So there we are: under full steam and a beutiful sky, going to the first dive site when the bungee holding my PST 120 high pressure tank, BP&Wings & regs slips and a bump makes the kit and kaboodle slide off the back.

Wow. There goes my day of diving with a few of my favorite Conchs! We try to spot where she went in and Captain Lynne swings the boat around. David our DM splashes and spends about 20 minutes searching the area: no luck.

OK, the gear is gone. I have accepted that and just get into facilitating the dive for the rest on the boat. After all, it's only gear. Yes, there was my custom camo wing from Tobin with DSS' awesome back plate and his finger spool. My favorite regs and tank as well as the sender for my VT3 rounded out the equipment list. Yeah, I have quite a bit of gear, but this was my FAVORITE set up and it's gone. No use crying over lost gear, and most on the boat were surprised that I was not in anguish, including our DM.

But, David wasn't happy with that. He organised a search party for the gear. Those who wanted could do their safety stop cruising the sand for my gear. I was touched as the ENTIRE boat (save one diver) splashed to search for my gear. Wow. They were told to stay at 20, look for a dark spot in the sand and spend no more than five minutes. It was far more than I could or would have asked for.

As we approached the GPS position, I was certain we were too far south. I mentioned this and David assurred me that this was the best place to look. Well, it's a crap shoot anyway, and I was just so grateful that I had such loyal friends so have at it gang: I'll see you in about five minutes! Now the divers from ScubaBoard included Moose, Boots, Marvel, Scuba_Jenny, Joystershell and her husband. There were another 3 or 4 divers, but I did not catch their name.

We had just finished dropping all four groups, when David spotted a TON of bubbles. He said "I bet they found it", but I knew better. We kept watching the dive teams and in all reality the five minutes had expired already. I looked back to the group that had the bubbles and WHOA: that looks like the butt of my tank that just surfaced. I mentioned it to David and he say "No way, Oh my gosh! They DO have it!"

The boat flipped around to pick up that group and yet another whoa... it was found by my best friend Dan (Moose). The gear that was lost was now found and I got to do the second dive after all!

So David... you can cover my back ANY DAY! It was good to meet such a capable DM and a new friend at that! Lynne, you rock! Thanks for taking care of all of us and allowing them to do the search. You both get an A+++ rating in my book!

ScubaBoardians... You ROCK too! You took time out of your diving day to look for my gear. Wow. Make that a double Wow.

Dan, aka Moose... I guess this makes us even! Bwahahahaha! Thanks for being such a good friend and finding my gear (now I will NEVER hear the end of it), but Bubba, PLEASE take those singing lessons soon! :D It was great that you made it through the day without a single Spew!

Huge-O kudos to Splashdown, Lynn and David. You guys rock! Nothing like finding that needle in the haystack (or is that gear in the ocean?? )! :)

Ditto, I love the folk at Splashdown Divers :D :).

Back
Top Bottom