Mondays Photo 11/10 ~ Juv. Drum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
aal.sized.jpg

No info recorded.

abu.sized.jpg

1/100...f/4

I have a dive trip T-shirt project I'm working on and I need photos of the different stages of a Spotted Drum, from baby to adult. If you allow me to use one of your photos, you're name will go beneath it and a t-shirt if you want one. I'll only be printing 25 shirts for the folks in our group so this isn't a commercial venture, just spoiled friends who want dive shirts!

TIA

Nice Drum pics. They are my "other coast" favorites next to the Splendid Toadfish in Cozumel.
:)

Mandrake...thanks!

Can you walk me through using PSElements to mask the drum and replace the background with a transparent one?

Dee once bubbled...
Mandrake...thanks!

Can you walk me through using PSElements to mask the drum and replace the background with a transparent one?

Wish I could. It's something I'm not terribly good at, and it tends to be pretty image-dependent anyway. It's relatively easy if the fish stands out from the background along its entire length, but otherwise can be a real pain. I rarely have any call to do it, and haven't been too pleased when I have.

Try using the magnetic lasso and magic wand tools with a feathering of 2 or 3 pixels to try making the selection you want. When you've got it, just do 'Layer->New->Layer Via Copy' and this will copy your selection to a new layer with a transparent background. Turn off visibility for the background layer and you'll see just the new layer. If there are still some parts you want to trim off from the fish, you can use the eraser tool to do it.

Oh, yeah...right! You make it sound so easy!!

I'll give it a shot.

...it is very image dependent. And the images you have on this thread look pretty tough except for the 2 that Mandrake posted. They would be a good place to start.

I'm not sure what Elements can do but here is how I would start.

Make a layer copy so you aren't working on the background layer.

make a new layer under the one you just made

fill the new layer with a bright color that is obviousley not part of the pic

go to your copy layer and add a layer mask.

Now your fore and background colors become balck and white. Where ever you paint black will become transparent - you'll see the bright color below. Where ever you paint white will be opaque - you will see what you want to keep.

Blow it up to 200% or better so you can see what you are doing and begin to paint transparency along the outside edge of what you want to keep (the fish), You can paint with whatever tool you like. Usually a paint brush, or making selections with the magnetic lasso and filling them with black as you go. I usually use some of each depending on the detail and contrast at the lines.

If you make a mistake - and you will - just paint white where you went over the line and you can repair it easily. When you have a tranparent ring around the object, it's easy to clear out the rest with selections and fill with black.

When you have what you want, remove the layer mask (apply) and you can select you object and have your way with it.

There are many more details for fine tuning but this is the down and dirty version and it works well with most images.

It can be a time theif but the more you do it the faster you'll get.

Be sure to show us your finished product!

Have fun!

Thanks Tortuga. I'm not sure what half od what you said means but at least it makes more sense than other methods I've been reading. Remember I'm totally new to PS, not even sure how to start a new layer...but I'm getting the general gist of it.

Time will tell!

Tortuga Roja once bubbled...

go to your copy layer and add a layer mask.

You can't do this in Elements. You only get layer masks with adjustment layers. If I needed to do it I could probably figure out how to do the equivalent by hand, but it's late...

I agree, it's going to be difficult no matter how you do it with those juvenile pictures. It will take some time, patience, and a steady hand. I only have the first. :D

Back
Top Bottom