Mona vs Desecheo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boston baby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all-

Hope I'm posting this in the right section!

I'm new to this forum, and am looking for any thoughts on the relative value of making the trip to Mona Island for no more than 1 overnight, against Dessie only - am in Puerto Rico now with family, leaving in a week. Went to Desecheo last summer with Taino, & it was awesome. Having fewer than 20 dives under my belt makes me a novice, but at least I'm comfortable in the water, should be okay with drift diving, working on refining boyancy control so my tank doesn't bonk in very tight spaces! I have read at least one source's claim that Dessie may be as good as or better than Mona, and without the 3-hour trip & 9-foot seas (though that itself could be fun with a little dramamine in me).

My sense of things concerning this question in general (based as much on extensive snorkeling as anything) is that the diving at any given site is sufficiently variable, depending on immediate local conditions and assuming at least some amount of healthy reef, that a two- or four-dive snapshot has limited predictive value; but that bottom depth somewhat dictates the upper limit of what might be seen under the best of circumstances. Would anyone agree with this unscientific opinion? And, in any case, what are the chances that I'll see significantly more spectacular stuff if I make the trip to Mona - assuming I can find a trip there in the time that remains. Have to admit, I'm not a big sponge-and-coral guy, get my biggest thrills from seeing new creatures big (turtles & a ray so far) and small or exotic (sea horses, arrow crabs, squid.) Thanks in advance for your input.

I see your point but I guess I'm a little jaded since I just returned from P.R. this week after doing Mona, Monita & Desecheo on the Juliet out of Mayaguez. We were trapped in port on Sunday (16th) because of TS Anna but they made up for it the rest of the week with the other dives. Mona was great and we saw some huge turtles and also saw many rays, barracuda and shark. I enjoy multiple dives so I can't imagine going out that far for one day. I think the Juliet is dry docked this week but should be back in the water next. The Juliet is a great boat and it rides the high seas well, especially when they hoist the sails !!
Did you dive with Emily from Taino by any chance? She was with us last week on the Juliet and we had a blast together !!

Hey, Al-
Thanks so much for the reply. The dive that I mentioned in my post was last summer & led by Tim and Dennis. I decided this summer to not go out to Mona and decided on another Dessie trip with Taino. Emily was indeed on that dive. I could picture how one could have a blast with many of the folks from Taino. Our trip, however, was dictated by the fact that only two of us were divers, and 8 were snorkelers. We didn't go to Dessie at all, and I'm unconvinced that better communication between captain and store people could have saved me the 5 hours of driving, and I could have gone out there on another day. I felt that all the dive masters, including Emily hung their hat on the notion (true enough) that a bad day diving is better than a good day on land, but...I'm reluctant to bad-mouth what I feel is basically a good company, but a dive that averaged 15', 200 yards from shore with poor visibility, all dictated by the need to avoid any current for the sake of the snorkelers...you be the judge.

A few days later I went with West Divers to La Parguera, and that was very cool, hope to do it again. The vis was not the 150' you'd get at Dessie, but still pretty cool. Looking forward to Mona some day - too bad you can't stay on the island since I've heard it's fascinating in itself.

Dive on!

Back
Top Bottom