Molokini Reef's End Drift with B&B Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Conditions were nice on Sunday, so B&B Scuba did Reef's End Drift. Lots of life and lots of sharks on this dive! During the start of the dive we heard whale calls but as a moved further down the wall they were out of range. I saw a total of 8 White Tips and 3 Grey Reef Sharks on the dive. One large Grey Reef Shark was down below me. It was nice to get back in the water and take some photos after such a long break!

Here are a few shots and a link:

DSC_5004copy.jpg

DSC_5039copy.jpg

DSC_5072copy.jpg

More photos at the link:

Reef's End Drift and Haoloa Point - Lots of sharks and a Manta Ray - Underwater Photography and Scuba News

Sean

Sweet!

Sean,

We were on the boat with you that day. It was a nice day indeed but you were off in a different group (or alone..?) so you saw more of the Sharks than we did :). I did get a lot of good pics of the Frog Fish on the second dive at Red Hill though. Tomorrow we head over to Lanai for our last day of diving before we leave.

Those are great pictures.

Russell

Nice pics...the viz looked great and you got nice and close to that Grey shark to light him up with the strobe.

I really like to know how you got the flash to light up the area so far away.

Sean,

We were on the boat with you that day. It was a nice day indeed but you were off in a different group (or alone..?) so you saw more of the Sharks than we did :). I did get a lot of good pics of the Frog Fish on the second dive at Red Hill though. Tomorrow we head over to Lanai for our last day of diving before we leave.

What Camera was that you were using? Those are great pictures.

Russell

I got down the reef pretty far. I was really itching to get down to the area after the boulders where it has the major drop-off since that's where these Grey's like to patrol. There wasn't much beyond it and I surfaced on the backwall within sight of the tower on the top of Molokini. I'm glad you saw the sharks though! Did you see the Greys or just the White Tips? I didn't see the 3 other Frogfish that Dave had. I think I pointed out that one frogfish to your buddy on the dive... Not sure though! Did you see the Manta Ray?

My setup is: Nikon D300 with 2 Ikelite DS-125 strobes. I was using a Tokina 12-24 Wide Angle lens. I have a LED focus light as well.

Nice pics...the viz looked great and you got nice and close to that Grey shark to light him up with the strobe.

Thanks! Vis was really good. I could see the ripples on the surface at 110 feet. I was pretty close to the sharks but even fully zoomed up at 24mm it seemed a little distant (with the Greys)... (I'm thinking a medium range lens might be more useful). Last time I was using my 60mm macro which was too zoomed! It was great fun seeing the Greys.. I really love seeing sharks!

Sean

missed the Greys, missed the ray :( saw the white tip.

I was one of the groups with Dave, I was sitting on the same side of the boat as you. I was the one with the Korean wife.

Back
Top Bottom