mold or mildew in aluminum tank ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigdave195412

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I purchased an aluminum 40 and was changing the valve to a din. I noticed the tank didn't smell right. I put an inspection light in the tank and noticed quite a few areas of black on the shiny aluminum sides. Does this sound like mold ? The smell is the main reason I suspect it. If it is mold, what is the safest and best way to remove it from the tank ?

The black areas are "normal" and are the result of moisture causing some minor corrosion. Often you will see it in streaks where a water droplets ran down the inside of the tank.

In my O2 tech/cleaning glass it was discussed and was not considered a major issue in light to moderate amounts.

Tumbling is an option to remove it and being a bit on the picky side, I tend to tumble when it gets to be anything beyond a streak or two.

It may very likely be just water discoloration, but bad odors from a tank should never be ignored, since they can warn of more serious problems. If it was my tank, I'd probably give it a good cleaning with warm water, detergent, and a whip, and then see how it looked/smelled.

The black areas are "normal" and are the result of moisture causing some minor corrosion. Often you will see it in streaks where a water droplets ran down the inside of the tank.

In my O2 tech/cleaning glass it was discussed and was not considered a major issue in light to moderate amounts.

Tumbling is an option to remove it and being a bit on the picky side, I tend to tumble when it gets to be anything beyond a streak or two.

Thanks, I'll try that first and then go from there. In 30 years of diving i've never run across a cylinder that smelled like that when the valve was removed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom