Modifying Watersports Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldsmoke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is it possible to purchase a non-diving drysuit - ie one for kayaking, jet skis, etc. and use it for diving. Obviously the valves will need to be added, but even with that expense it would be far less expensive. I don't really know anything about the material or whether the zipper would hold up. Do any of you have any experience doing this? Thanks.

i thought about that awhile ago. can wait to hear the responses.

Been looking at those DUI non-diving dry-suits on ebay too? :) I was also wondering the same thing...maybe someone with a big budget and experience can test this out.

We have actually had a few people do that with the OS Systems suits since the Breeze water ski suit uses the same zipper as a diving suit (just a little shorter). Just be aware that you need to add some material around where the valves go since the base material is not as strong as diving weight stuff. Plus, these are cut much closer to the body and not designed for the bigger, thicker undergarments so you may need to go up a size or two. Finally, ankle seals SUCK!! For diving they leave your feet cold and uncomfortable. In extreme cases, divers can't feel their feet after a dive. Cut them off and replace with either the latex socks or boots.

Well, there's diving grade zippers and watersports zipers. Diving grade is made with a rubber sealing area and metal teeth. Watersports zippers with many companies are usually urethane material with plastic teeth.

Back
Top Bottom