Modifying jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a pair of Jetfins XL. Street shoe size i'm a 45, which is about 10.5 UK, 11 US. I don't fit the L. The thing is that my foot is on the narrower side. This means that while the lenth is fine, there is some movement in the width. Can anyone suggest a way to get around this - I was thinking of finding some rubber and super glueing it inside the fin to cut down the widith. Another idea I had was to add width to the bootie iteself to make it a snug fit. As I said any idea's on how to get the width just right would be great.

Thanks

Alex

That should work, although I suspect you will find contact cement a better choice than super glue.

I would experiment using rubber cement to hold the rubber in until it felt right.

Good luck in trying to get glue to stick with any success to your jets. I think that they secrete somthing like an oily, or silicon material, and never seem to stop. You may have better luck with the "building up the bootie" idea. Maybe by adding some wetsuit material, and glueing that to them to get the right fit. Jets are tough, they eather fit, or they dont, Im fortunate that my XL's fit like a glove with 7mm sneaker sole boots.

both ideas are good, I think its going to come down to which one works best. At the end of the day its not very sloppy, its fits well in term of depth but there is a bit more room than I would like at the start of the foot pocket. My main concern that once I get into the water this will lead to side to side play. I tried them out with sneaker soled boots, and guess what, I could not get them in properly. So I'm stuck in the middle size wize, so if anyone else has had this issue I'd like to hear your suggestions.

another option might be larger boots with neoprene socks inside. I read a post some time ago about sitting Jets out in the sun for awhile then shaping them to your boot before allowing them to cool.

Aloha, Tim

Putting a neoprean sock inside my boots might do the trick. Question regarding the use of heat how could you make the fit narrower?

I wish I could find the post - IIRC it was regarding a foot pocket that was too wide also - Set out in a hot sun till the material became pliable, shoved the boot in question inside (Might consider spraying with Pam no-stick spray or something and filling the boot with water or sand first to help it hold it's shape better) form the foot pocket around the fin and then allow it to cool. I have not tried this myself, nor do I know the ramifications of doing so, just some thoughts on the subject.

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom