Modifying Dive-Rite Cam Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
what is the boards opinion on the dive rite stainless cam straps SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Cam Straps

i am planning on buying a pair, cutting off the "non slip pads," which is guess protects the tank surface from scratches (why?), and adding a pair of DSS tension pads. is this a good idea? is there a sturdier setup? thanks.

The non-slip pad is to grip the tank a little better. Once you go to using two straps, added devices to keep the tank from slipping are mostly unnecessary; but will not hurt. If you do go with the DSS pads, I suggest you try them without modifying the Dive Rite straps initially. They may well work just fine without modification.

Oops, I just remembered I had a couple DR straps. You probably will not be able to use both and will need to modify the DR strap. My DR straps have 2 pad one each strap. The Non-slip pad simply threads on and is easily removed by unthreading the strap. The other is primarily to protect the tamnk from the cam action and would have to be cup off if it interferes. The DR strap is well made but my dislike of the cam design and the pads lead me to replace them with Scubapro style straps.

Back
Top Bottom