Modification to Canon G9 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I seem to recall someone posting on this forum that they had managed to modify a Canon G9 housing to take add on macro and WA lenses but cannot for the life of me remember who. Anyone ? Help !!! Pleeeeeze.

And no, I'm not defecting, just asking on behalf of a friend.:D

Talk to Ed D_Man. I've also seen a commercially available adapter. I think it was from Divervision, but I'm not sure.

I seem to recall someone posting on this forum that they had managed to modify a Canon G9 housing to take add on macro and WA lenses but cannot for the life of me remember who. Anyone ? Help !!! Pleeeeeze.

And no, I'm not defecting, just asking on behalf of a friend.:D

I have asked a similar questions and there are several options:

1) Rig a home made device for the close up lense
2) UWdigitalcamera.com - in Japan and responds quickly to questions. Offers an adapter.
3) Fun in Underwater Equipment - replied to questions as well. Offers an adapter as well.

I moved from an Oly 5060/7070 to G9. I have taken it on 4 dives and don't think I need a close up lense. The G9's macro mode works very well. Unlike the Oly the G9 flash does trigger in macro mode. I have set up C1 for normal shots and C2 for macro. However, you do need a strobe as the lens port blocks the light from the strobe.

Also I have been told wide angle lens don't work with the G9 canon housing, but will work with Ikelite. The G9 lens sits to far back in the Canon housing. The wide angle results in a lot if vignetting.

To be honest I like the G9 much more than the 5060/7070 camera. Shots RAW but saves within 2 seconds. By the time the picture preview is done the RAW pic has been saved. Also much quicker to load to a computer, as as stated above I don't need a close up lens.

I leave this weekend for a 1 week trip to the carribean on a live aboard. I have the camera, housing, and strobe, but won't take a close up lense.

Hope this helps

I did this DIY project on my G9 housing. It worked well, but you have to be careful.. easy to strip the threads, and you need to be careful because of the fine threads even after affixing to your housing.. the lens has to be just right and make sure no air is trapped... I need to buy a slightly different lens to make sure it works real well. I bought a red lens and it is just too red....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom