Suggestion Moderator edited posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
dherbman

dherbman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
No complaints from me, but I've seen many from other members. I'm pretty much self moderating and I bet others would be if given the opportunity. I bet a PM sent to the poster asking them to modify their post would yield the same result as editing or deleting the post by a moderator.

Just a thought.

the only suggestion i have is that Mods should think long and hard before using their Mod powers to edit or delete threads.

is this really a TOS violation? if not, leave it alone

if it is a TOS violation, is it marginal? if so, why not leave it alone? it'll soon be burried under an avalanche of posts anyway.

from the 101st Airborne's rules of engagement in Iraq:

1. Can we do this?

2. Should we do this?

just because you can doesn't mean it's the best idea.

nobody likes to be moderated (much). Mods should expect a fairly hostile
reaction. is the negative reaction and the bad vibes it creates worth the
change or edit?

most of the time, it probably isn't.

save the ammo for the battles that really count

catherine96821:
no..maybe I am off-topic. I am referring to informal moderation where the discussion gets shut down. Comments like "get proper training" or "why do you feel entitled to know this" or "should not be learned on the internet." It is more of what I would call bullying.

Then to avoid this, people start just PM-ing and sending links to other forums, in order to have the discussion. Frankly, it can be a lot of trouble. Seems like if consenting adults want to talk about physiology, deco..,maybe even make some mistakes in the discussion, that ought to be encouraged.

Some of it may be actual bullying (not acceptable) and some may be perceived bullying because someone took the phrase out of the context that was intended by the poster. "Please get proper training before _______" is different than "What kind of idiot would do that? Get proper training--geez, learning how to lick poisonous snakes should not be learned on the internet!"

How do you feel about the "MOF/NMOF overflow," for lack of a better term, that has the same effect on posts? Banter that goes on and on and eventually fills a page or more between posts that actually address the topic also shuts down discussions. It's something that is generally let go as long as it doesn't violate the TOS. Should we ask these members to self moderate excessive chatter out of otherwise good posts? Food for thought.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
It's something that is generally let go as long as it doesn't violate the TOS. Should we ask these members to self moderate excessive chatter out of otherwise good posts? Food for thought.

my view?

if it doesn't violate TOS, leave it alone

you (not you Ber, anyone) don't like it? if it doesn't violate TOS, too bad.

you don't find it amusing? if it doesn't violate TOS, too bad.

you think it's annoying? if it doesn't violate TOS, too bad

and so on ...

One could even argue that the overwhelming urge to enforce something..anything is its own unique form of trolling.

You are right it is a diverse group of people and Ber, you post about splitting a tip 50-50 with your husband and I am just suggesting that you might be on the precise side of life....If you all are really are concerned that the banter is a detraction from the board, maybe you could do a survey. I know there are people who will agree with you about this, and if the majority would like to see it curtailed, then that is what should happen.

Another thought I have had if you desire more substance, maybe you could approach members about doing bimonthly posts in some area of expertise.

Just brainstorming here,

Itsbruce has written some great little pieces about legalities of diving...Andy has given lots of free advice here and there also.

Lamont is a theoretical mathematical genius and I can practically sell his explanations of compartments and deco...he makes a subject very understandable.

Dennis shares his trajectory of photography progress almost everyday...

It is a strong membership...maybe the powers that be could harness a little of this energy to the boards benefit? It may actually acheive your objectives without the enforcement climate.....like I said before "community based" policing. Get involved with the membership, and maybe the job will be more fun. The mods that moderate in this style seem to have the least problems.

We do our best to conduct ourselves at a higher standard,

catherine96821:
You are right it is a diverse group of people and Ber, you post about splitting a tip 50-50 with your husband and I am just suggesting that you might be on the precise side of life....
"Precise" is a nice word for it "****** Retentive" is what most call me :D I read something by Ann Landers or Dear Abby once though that tempers my moderating hand. The line was basically "Will you remember this in 10 years? If not let it go if yes then act." I don't have a lot of time so I prefer letting things slide when they don't violate the TOS knowing that it won't take long for the post to slide into oblivion.

catherine96821:
If you all are really are concerned that the banter is a detraction from the board, maybe you could do a survey. I know there are people who will agree with you about this, and if the majority would like to see it curtailed, then that is what should happen.

It is a strong membership...maybe the powers that be could harness a little of this energy to the boards benefit? It may actually acheive your objectives without the enforcement climate.....like I said before "community based" policing. Get involved with the membership, and maybe the job will be more fun. The mods that moderate in this style seem to have the least problems.

I've run across quite a few people (in person) who have stopped coming to the board because the scuba discussions end up diluted with chit-chat. Everyone is different and what repulses some attracts others. I like to "talk" with the friends I've made on this board as much as the next person, as a mod I try to keep off-topic posts to a minimum if I'm not chatting in a thread I started. I don't seem to have problems with the membership, I don't recall ever receiving a nasty PM from a member but again I usually don't have time to get involved in the big messes.

I was just curious what the general consensus on the banter was, an informal survey if you will :)
Ber :lilbunny:

hmmm

The banter/humor has diffused a lot of the negative feelings in here...it seems to be comraderie building, IMO.

I liked the way Ber responded. She initially raised the issue of banter, to me, by saying "what do you think...." this always plays well with people. I was reminded of the notion that everyone doesn't appreciate too much banter....like I said, it can be rude. So, she was able to make her concern known in a constructive way....probably will have more of an effect on me than someone describing how important they are, how busy they are and that it is not fun to be here.

I love this place. Part of the reason is I don't just get one "correct" answer...I get about ten perspectives from some very dialed in people.

So, maybe if there is a nice orderly thread underway, we kids that were the ones that always talked too much in class should cool it. Or if we see things getting derailed, be more aware of it. I have been trying to take my banter to Hawaii forum or Dennis's photography forum, etc. So...for me the point has been well taken.

I think everyone should remember...wether you are an advisor, a mod, or just a member, "what am I bringing to the table?" If you goof off a little too much..spend some time greeting or explaining the steps of deploying safety sausage to some one trying to do it for the first time. I jokenly refer to it as "getting your stock up".

If you are heavy handed moderator, put some time in communing and contributing to the diving posts, and you will have the respect you need to enforce whatever you deem necesary. There are examples of this style in our ranks. Moderation will never be uniform and it involves some people skills, for sure.
Forgive people, and they will forgive you, etc.

I love the diversity here, and it makes it fun and most importantly, it lets the diving information be put in a context.

Hey Gang,

We are going to close this thread right here. There were some interesting suggestions and unfortunately, some of that is being lost in the banter. We really want to digest the good, so don't be alarmed if you see this thread removed later and IF (<= Big "IF" there) it returns, it might be highly abridged.

The previous 30-page thread has been condensed into this shorter thread containing the suggestions offered throughout the original thread.

We'd like to thank you all for your input and want you to know that your suggestions will be taken under advisement and implemented as appropriate.

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom