Modelling Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefwalker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Can anyone give me advice on a good bright narrow-beam light for use by my dive companion, to show up in my wide angle photographs. The idea is for the light to show a visible beam, not necessarily light up the scene in the pics. I have been looking at the Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon? Any comments appreciated
:confused:

The problem with using the narrow beam lights for spotting is that they usually produce a hot-spot in the middle of your shots. That's not necessarily desirable. I use two small LED lights (Princeton Tec Attitudes) mounted to my housing. They produce a very nice and bright white light that really brings out the colors. The only issue I have with them is that they are unable to penetrate very far into the water, maybe 20-30ft in clear water. Thankfully, that usually isn't a problem for night underwater photography. Hope this helps!

-Roman.

You want the light BEAM to show? Why? A narrow beam isn't going to provide light for wide angle shots. As Roman pointed out, you'll get a bright hot spot in your pics. Unless your wide angle shot IS your companion shining a light beam to light up a scene?

The Light Cannon you mention would work well to light the scene but you won't see a light beam. You also will see very little life with the light Cannon at night....it's like turning the sun on and nocturnal critters don't care for it much!

Dee
I think Reefwalker may be trying to get the effect of the light beam penetrating through the water column

The idea is for the light to show a visible beam, not necessarily light up the scene in the pics

But thats just pure speculation :confused:

That's why I said..."Unless your wide angle shot IS your companion shining a light beam to light up a scene?"

I saw a photo of a wreck not long ago that had this really spooky effect to it. You could see the glow of the lights as well as the light beams from the two divers....very surreal!

Read right over that Dee !!!!
I read the posts ....but I guess I only "retained" the first couple of lines.....
Guess my mind has left for the Caribbean already !!!!!

There is an article in Sport Diver this month talking about light ..... really like the light coming from under the plane ..... talk about surreal .... that plane looks possessed!!!!!

I know how that feels! We have 15 days until we leave for Roatan and I'm already smelling that salt spray washing over my bungalow every morning!

As a former commercial photographer, I occasionally had assignments to show beams like this. There are only two ways.

One is retouching.

The other is particulate in the air like smoke or fog. Think about seeing car headlights on a foggy night. Or scenes from Speilberg movies, etc. Major fog machine action. While a sharp narrow beam will help, it's mostly atmospheric conditions that make it happen.

Since we're talking underwater, my guess is silt or other crap in the water (that we usually hate) would be what you need. It would be difficult to get just the right amount to show the beam, but not obscure your subjets.

If serious about this, you might want to experiment with powders in a bathtub.

So go find some dirty water!

GB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom