Mode question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MdkSniper

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm just curious what mode everybody shoots in underwater. Do you guys use manual, aperature priority, shutter priority, or something else? I'm curious because I have been using a mixture between aperature priorority and manual. Often I forget to change both aperature and shutter speed in manual because the situation is changing, causing me to lose some shots that I would have liked to have taken.

My guess is most of us shoot manual, at least I do. With an external strobe you can't let the camera pick any of the values and pretty much have to use manual. The F-stop and strobe setting have to agree. If you are using the internal strobe only you can get away with other modes.

Manual Camera and manual strobes

Karl

If you want to go simple and not use manual try Sport mode. It gives fairly good results on the Oly C5050 for instance. It focuses quicker.

I use manual all the time. I don't find myself adjusting both settings for the same shot very often because I am often on the hunt for a similar sized/distance creature scene throughout parts of the dive.

So if I am shooting a nudi, I am likely at f8 and 1/500 or higher on the 5050. Then I leave that alone until I find the next nudi. I might fiddle with the f stop to change my dof - but usually a darker background is better/less distracting for a lot of my nudi shots.

If I am after fishies I will start around f5.6 or so and only vary my shutter speed in most instances.

Obviously things change as the dive goes on, but it's rare that a shot I need quickly will require changing both at once...

Manual all the time.

Joe

Manual... tried others but nothing turns out well...

MdkSniper:
Often I forget to change both aperature and shutter speed in manual because the situation is changing, causing me to lose some shots that I would have liked to have taken.

BTW - once you solve this problem you'll likely find another :) Seems I'm always looking left when there's something equally as cool happening to the right! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom