Mobile Access - Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
On and off over the past I've commented on how difficult it is to log in and use SB from mobile devices. Now that I'm spending a lot more time away from my primary machines how much I use SB, or not, depends on whether this ongoing problem can be solved.

>So how about something to automatically detect my mobile browser, I'm uing a BlackBerry, and bring up SB Mobile instead of SB Default?
>How about making it possible to use the ?Contact" link to send an email? Tonight when I tried to use it the "Image Verification" didn't produce an image for my BB.

Some specifics on my latest attempt:
>I started with a clean cache. I logged in and got the Welcome screen. But when I clicked on User CP it went to the You Are Not Logged In or Do Not Have Permission screen. I cleared cache again and tried again. No change. Header says I'm logged in but any attempt to do anything that requires the user to be logged in, like changing the skin to mobile, results in the You Are Not Logged In.
>The site did not provide a verification image to my Blackberry so I could not send you and email from the Contact link. The other Contact link in the body of the screen gave an error message.

Since this has been an ongoing problem I am wondering if you haven't made a policy decision not to provide a functional mobile site. If so just let me know and I'll not bother you or waste my time when I'm on the road.

Excellent!

This works great for my new iPhone. Thanks, all.

So how about something to automatically detect my mobile browser, I'm using a BlackBerry, and bring up SB Mobile instead of SB Default?
At the moment vBulletin doesn't support that.

How about making it possible to use the ?Contact" link to send an email?
I'll need to have a look at the templates for this request.

Tonight when I tried to use it the "Image Verification" didn't produce an image for my BB.
That will need to be looked into.

Since this has been an ongoing problem I am wondering if you haven't made a policy decision not to provide a functional mobile site. If so just let me know and I'll not bother you or waste my time when I'm on the road.
AFAIK, no decision has been made on this.

In the mean time, I recommend putting this link in your Favourites:
htttp://www.scubaboard.com/forums/index.php?styleid=81

El Orans thanks for your reply to my feedback. I tried that link some time ago with poor results. Perhaps it will be better now.

Just tried the link again. It is too long for the system. When it is processed it ends at "php" and brings up the default skin. Back to original feedback. If you want mobile access it needs to be a different link. Perhaps this is only a BlackBerry problem. But BlackBerry is The PDA for business.

When I enter the link manually it goes to SB Mobile. But, when I save it to Bookmarks it is truncated to end at "php". There doesn't seem to be any way to let SB know to always come up with mobile, or at least I can't find it.

Had some time on my hands so tried a variety of things including logging in via "normal" and setting default skin as mobile. No difference. If you have some specific tips they are welcome. Otherwise, SB is off the table when I travel and don't take anything but mobile devices(Broadband laptop, BlackBerry).

Last edited:
Just for info the link I listed above is the bookmark from my Blackberry 8350.

It also worked fine on the BB 8330 I used to have.

And the BB 7100 I used to have.

And even the BB 7250 I used to have (slowly).

Not sure why your BB would truncate the link- I have bookmarks that are easilyu twice that long, are you sure it's not just wrapping off the screen or something?

If it's truncating when you bookmark it try editing the bookmark to add the text it cut off back in.

One last thought- if you're using the blackberry browser as your default you should try setting it to the internet browser instead- pages load faster for me that way. YMMV.

Good luck!

Correction- I do see why its happening, the styleid part is not picked up by the BB as part of the page address- it's just a parameter thats passed when you first load the page.

To fix- just edit your bookmark and add it back in, save it and you should be all set.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm using the 8320 so most of the time speed isn't an issue but a browser that will connect to hotspots is.

I couldn't edit in the style ID. I rebooted. Now I can.

Of all the sites I use this is the Only One I have problems with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom