Moalboal to Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tippytoes12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have 14 nights in the Philippines in February and have decided to do 5 nights in Malboal and 9 nights in Malapascua. What is the road trip like between these two destinations ? As the roads in fairly decent condition ? Have been told it will take 7 ish hours and it will be good to see some of the countryside.

Any information would be , as always, very much appreciated.
icon_question.gif

Many thanks.

Hi Tippytoes, I am based in Moalboal. Depending on your budget you can get a car from moalboal(around 4000php) which will take you directly to the banka/ferry to Malapascua. or you can take 2 or 3 buses(around 500 pesos excluding transfers between bus terminals in Cebu City) depending on how much of the Island(Cebu) you want to see. The roads are ok, when you are letting one of the professional drivers drive you will not get beat to death while traveling... There are a couple of rough patches but they are the exception..

The three bus option I mentioned would take you down the southwestern coast of Cebu and it hugs the shoreline almost all the way. Then it takes you up the southeastern coast and you pass through Oslob and many other small towns... It is a nice ride if you have the time... If you need any other info on it you can pm.

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited:
Go to Malapascua first as it is the furtherest of the two. It is also easier to get the public ferry before noon.
There are plenty of buses going from the Southern Bus Terminal to Moalboal.

Thank you all so much for this, very much appreciated. I will probably get a taxi , I don't really want to spend one of my precious days moving between bus terminals.

Travelpro : I have been told that to get to the island takes 6 to 7 hours from the South.

As Centrals mentioned your problem will be getting the ferry boat after the 7hr ride from Moalboal. If you leave Moalboal at 7am, that puts you at the pier in Maya at 2pm - which should be ok. Any later than that and you can expect to have to hire a private boat, or at least pay a bit more.

Reverse the trip and you skip that problem all together.

The quality of the roads will depend on what you are comparing them to. Some spots are really good. Some spots are utter crap.

Enjoy!

Good advice from Matt, getting the boat across from Maya later in the day is a pain in the butt, go to Malapascua first. Taxis are easy to find but haggle hard for the right price, having someone arrange a mini van in advance for you does make life a little more relaxed and easier though.

On the way back from Malapascua to Moalboal if you are going to take the bus you will have to switch in Cebu, this will be a little tiring you might think about stopping over a night in Cebu to break the journey. If the budget is no problem a comfortable car or minivan would be a better option and save you an hour or two of journey time, the journey from Cebu to Moalboal is actually very pleasant, roads not bad.

please give me a email if you need any help with the moalboal leg, we are based in Panagsama beach.

Lee
scuba diving cebu philippines

Guys

That's brilliant, thanks, I will definitely reverse things and go to Malapascua first. I have no problem with long journeys , especially as it is just one in a 14 day trip.

Best fishes to you all x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom