MMSI for the international traveler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If one plans to do liveaboard diving around the world, what country would you go for your MMSI? In my country of residence (Thailand), I've not been able to find who the heck at the NTC issues these things. Even asking my boating friends, they have no idea who issues them... they don't even know if their radios have DSC functionality.

Considering this is meant as a potentially life saving device, what would be the implications of just going to BoatUS website and get a US MMSI?

An a related note, I'm heading to Raja Ampat for xmas. On the website, the boat doesn't list a VHF radio as part of their safety gear (GPS, sounder, fish finder and HF SSB radio are listed). What are the odds of them not having a VHF? I thought that was pretty standard equipment. I've shot them an email, but have yet to get a reply.

If you are not a Thai citizen I would suggest looking into the getting an MMSI from the radio or shipping authority of your nationality. If you really want to cover all your bases you may need to get your country's equivalent of the US Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit.

It is fairly easy to determine if a VHF radio is equipped with DSC, there will be an small red button obviously labeled "SOS", "Mayday", "Distress" or something similar in the local language. Usually the button will be located under a translucent red protective cover. If the radio is so equipped should be able to receive a DSC distress alert. Whether the boat's radio can successfully transmit a full DSC distress alert with position and identity depends on installation of a connection to the boat's GPS and programming of an MMSI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom