MkV extreem vs Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering purchasing one of your wings in the near future. My question is: what is the difference between the MKV extreem and the Signature? All I can see is the the extreem has heavier cloth. Is it more puncture resistant than the siganture?

Also, I dive with steel 120's and steel 100's. I would like to get my profile and drag down as much as possible. Would the 30# wing be good enough? I also use a 30cf pony bottle. I have a 45# wing now, and it seems to have a lot of drag. I just need to know if the 30# wing will accomodat my tanks/

Thanks

I dive the Vertex extreme 360 55#, and I love it. It balances perfectly with my LP 108s. I also like that the extreme wing just has a tiny sewn in patch, no embroidery like the signature, just pure function. I would be careful about going down to 30#, if your DS floods at the start of your dive, bad news.

Thanks for the reply. What is a DS? ( The only DS I can think of right now is my son's gameboy DS, he plays it all day long. :blinking:)Sorry, its just not comming to mind...and if it floods, how would a larger wing be helpful? If its part of the wing, and its flooding, it would only add more water and weight to the bladder.

B

Sorry, DS= Dry Suit. If my dry suit floods, then I will be very negative due to the lack of any air in the suit. The larger wing can offset this, so I can swim up.

Okay , thanks. I guess if I had I dry suit, I might have known what you were talking about. Yeah, that makes complete sence, but opens up other ideas like lift bags ...etc...a larger wing is the easiest option, but I am trying to get the drag as low as possible. I'll have to do the math I guess. I am not sure a 30# will lift a HP120 and pony safely.

Thanks,

I dive a drysuit with a 30# Oxycheq Mach V using single steel 100's and a 30cf pony, and I'm still here! My DS has never flooded though, but it seems to me I'd still be able to get to the surface if I inflated the wing all the way. Not sure how it would handle 120's... there's a 40# version though too which I hear is not much bigger.

Just reread the OP, sorry for any confusion, but I somehow thought you meant double 100/120s. That's what I get for replying after working all day...`

I use my 55# with double 108s, and don't own an oxycheq singles wing. All I can say is that the build quality of the extreme is superb, and it just looks mean.

The solution : carry a 100 lbs lift bag with you all the time so you dont have to have a massive wings

I dive a drysuit with a 30# Oxycheq Mach V using single steel 100's and a 30cf pony, and I'm still here! My DS has never flooded though, but it seems to me I'd still be able to get to the surface if I inflated the wing all the way. Not sure how it would handle 120's... there's a 40# version though too which I hear is not much bigger.

My question is: what is the difference between the MKV extreem and the Signature? All I can see is the the extreem has heavier cloth. Is it more puncture resistant than the siganture?

My wife and I both dive with the Mach V Extreme 30#. Excellent wing for single tank w/pony. Check out this video from Oxycheq website regarding durability. OxyCheq Mach V Extreme Wing. Yes, the extreme is more durable and puncture resistant.

Regarding the steal 120's, won't be an issue w/30# wing if you are properly weighted. Are you diving with more than 20lbs negative?:no

You won't be disappointed with either wing, but I preferred the added durability.

Keith

I have the 40# Extreme. It is a little wider than the 30 and only about 8lbs difference. 30=32lb lift. They are both very low profile wings. I got it because it was on sale at SCUBAToys. Check ST forum for a lot more info and discounts on Wing. There must be quite a bit of difference in design with your 45# versus the 40# Mach V Extreme. I use HP100 and HP130. The 30# will also work fine for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom