MK5/109 and Conshelf 14 breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Have been using mk5/109 set for the past two year and recently reverted back to a Conshelf 14. Noticed the Conshelf breathes a lot harder beyond 60 feet. I never recalled that big a difference in breathing effort between the two.

Is it just tuning or is there an inherent difference in design and performance?

It may just be a simple adjustment that needs to be made. I have used and serviced both types and have not seen any measurable difference between them.

The 109 can (and may have already been) upgraded to a balanced 2nd stage. I'm not sure the Conshelf is (or even offers) a balanced 2nd-stage. That can make a big difference.

I have both, and dive both. Not a huge difference between them if the Conshelf second stage is tuned properly. I've not found that it breathes any harder below 60'. The Conshelf XIV second stage is a classic downstream design (unbalanced) with a fixed orifice, and lever height is the only adjustment that can be made during maintenance (except maybe changing the spring). The 109, being a barrel poppet design (and with the capability to upgrade to a balanced version), has an adjustable orifice and external adjustment knob. It can be tuned very close to free flow if desired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom