MK25 S600 for Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschonbrun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have experience with the MK25/S600 combination in water at or below freezing? I have the newest version which comes with the TIS (Thermal Insulation System). There have been many prior posts about McMurdo testing, but those were in 2005 and 2006. I haven't seen anything with the current model.

I'm considering a trip to Svalbard and want to know if I need additional regs for diving in/around polar ice.

Thanks,
David

OK, so a bit silly... answered my own question by looking at the approved for naval use website A.N.U

The MK25/S600 is approved for use down to 38 degrees F. It is not approved for ice diving, and I trust there is a good reason for it.

Interestingly, of the Cold Water Regs ANU, most of them are from Poseidon, and only one is from Apeks (TX50).

My best freind does recovery in the great-lakes area, also in lakes retreiving snowmobiles,cars and trucks, bobcats that clear an iceskating rink.

He bought his after I told him How deep I take mine and love it.
He dives it under the ice no problem loves it.
plus the fact lakes are just silted up and no vis he trust his life on it.

Its because of these regs the term scubaflow was started massive free flow problums under the ice take all the steps nesesary to keep this from freezing i would use a mk17 g250v

I have the old and newer versions of the mk25, I will be diving tomorrow in a quarry 35m with the watertemp at 5c. I have dived in 3c. Lovely set of regs.

I use mk25 on my twinsets, and single setup arrangements.

I used the older Mk 20's and the Mk 25 in water temps in the 35-39 degree range with no problems but I had buddies who did have problems. The Mk 25 is on the edge at those temps and demands excellent cold water technique to avoid a "freeze flow" and low pressure tanks give you a bit more margin.

I switched to the Mk 17 for that reason. It is as close to bullet proof as you can get in extremely codl water.

As an aside, in fresh water temps in the 34 to 35 degree range under the ice are most common with temps colder than that only occurring if the whole lake is very close to freezing al the way to the bottom.

I have never tried diving in water below freezing - it's too much work trying to swim inside a block of ice.

I had a major freeflow on a deep dive with deco obligation using a mk25 S600. I didn't die but I learned my lesson and only use it for warm water single tank diving.

I have never tried diving in water below freezing - it's too much work trying to swim inside a block of ice.

What's wrong DA, never heard of "ice diving?"

:lotsalove:

D A the only Piston regs i have under the ice with no major issue is the Atomics as long as there sealed they can deal with the 30 deg water in a current i have about 50 dives under the ice with 30 deg water temps and -25deg air temps and only have had one free flow with my m1 3rd dive of the day and sitting on the ice for 45 min in between dives "ice dives eat regs " I have seen every reg free flow under the ice other than posiedons . But mk20 and mk25 are deadly in those conditions havent seen one yet finish a dive with out a freeflow the mk17's have been good so far this season first year i have seen them out with a good second stage "g250v" the g250hp had big issues with second stage free flows some guys were using mk17/atomic m1 combos they worked well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom