mk2 x-stream to pair with my cyklons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just checked, they are indeed set at 9.5 bar... Lowered it down to 8.5. Gonna dive them tomorrow to see what if it had any noticable effect. I also ordered a new needle valve and purge, because of the purge being worn and depressed deeply. Just a bummer since the seller garantueed it was serviced by a licensed tech in January. Seems hard for me to believe he wouldn't replace a purge that's basically at the end of it's cycle.

On a good note the serial number is in thé 400000 range so should be upgraded.

look at the guide for how to field service to adjust the cracking effort on those Xstreams. If you get it on the lower end of the cracking scale *which you should* and have the IP set where it is supposed to be *make SURE you adjusted the IP at the maximum tank pressure the regulator is going to see. Since the second stages aren't balanced, you can have them adjusted perfectly at say 200bar, but when you put it on a fresh tank at 250bar, the IP drops JUST enough to cause it to freeflow..

My last hard copy of the Poseidon manuals weighs in at just over a kilo; looks like an old San Francisco phone directory, bristling with Post-it notes; spent parts in zip-locks; and paper-clipped revisions, since the 1990s. I knew more techs who had Poseidon on speed-dial, when there was some strange issue; and the manuals were often subject to change, at the whim of the Swedes.

When in doubt, I almost always sided with Vance Harlow and his Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair, since he always struck me as a guy with his ear to the ground; and who had some deep industry contacts. When I was learning to work on the regs, we were always instructed to do any final IP adjustments, should that be necessary, at the lower end -- 20 bar, which was also echoed in his book:

"Poseidon specifies a two-step adjustment procedure. The stage is first pressurized to 300 psi (20 bar) and the IP checked. Then the stage is pressurized with a full tank (3000-4500 psi / 200-300 bar) and rechecked. The IP at the HIGHER supply pressure should be 0-30 psi (0-2 bar) LOWER for the Cyklons, and 15-20 psi (1-1.3 bar) LOWER for the others [Jetstream, Xstream, etc] The actual adjustment, though, should always be done at the lower (300 psi / 20 bar) supply pressure."

@Bigbella that statement only applies to the Cyklon. It's critical that you adjust the cracking effort of the Jetstream and Xstream second stages at the point they will experience the lowest IP since they work on an upstream principal. If you tune them at the low supply pressure and the IP drops, then they will freeflow. Conversely on the Cyklons, it's important that you tune them at the low supply pressure because they are a downstream valve and that is the highest IP they will experience. If you tune those to the bitter edge at the high supply pressure, then they will start freeflowing as the IP increases with lower tank pressure.
That is in the current version of the manuals, makes logical sense, and I've experienced that personally...

@Bigbella It's critical that you adjust the cracking effort of the Jetstream and Xstream second stages at the point they will experience the lowest IP since they work on an upstream principal. If you tune them at the low supply pressure and the IP drops, then they will freeflow. Conversely on the Cyklons, it's important that you tune them at the low supply pressure because they are a downstream valve and that is the highest IP they will experience. If you tune those to the bitter edge at the high supply pressure, then they will start freeflowing as the IP increases with lower tank pressure.
That is in the current version of the manuals, makes logical sense, and I've experienced that personally...

Sorry, that's obvious; I think that I misunderstood something that you wrote. Semi-house arrest has my mind headed for tapioca . . .

Aloha Gentlemen
Minutes after posting on the other, I am finally finding this thread ... :banghead:

Hopefully I may ask a favor of either of you - I have Xstream SM 2.9, but nothing for the Cyklon X - does a newer version of the service manual exist for the Cyklon Xs? Or perhaps a newer Xstream version?

Mahalo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom