MK17 with Apeks Egress octo ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idive2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Lately I have been reading a few comments about maybe this second stage or that second stage not being paired up
with this or that. I understand that most first stages are piston or diaphragm but beyond that don't they all
maintain a constant IP to the second stage although maybe at slightly different pressures ? I have heard reference
to "over balanced" first stages and not exactly sure what is meant by this. Anyway, as an adjustable balanced second stage user
with a sealed diaphragm MK17 first stage does a balanced (non-adjustable) Apeks Egress slimline octo seem like a good match ?
For a slimline octo this one seems to be getting the best reviews.

It'll work perfectly.
As you said the 2nd stage isn't taking notes on what 1st stage it's attached too.
A balanced reg like the egress is very forgiving of small changes in IP and is the best of the hockey puck octos.
"over balanced" is mostly a marketing ploy to explain a small increase in IP with depth.

To add a little to fishpie's comments, any balanced second stage will handle an "overbalanced", which is not actually overbalanced but rather over depth compensated- first stage. Unbalanced second stages present a little bit of a problem but since most octos are purposely set to a higher cracking pressure than the primary second stage, the few PSI of overcompensation has little effect....and even if you get a few bubbles from slightly going over the IP the octo is set for, it's of no real concern.

Back
Top Bottom