MK10 setup gauge hose leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noa8877

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have an older but rebuilt MK-10 regulator setup similar to the picture.

Where the high pressure hose goes into the gauge it's leaking some bubbles.

I was wondering if I bought a high pressure hose, how I would remove/install it on the gauge.

I do have a decent scuba toolkit.

The regulator and first and second stages were already rebuilt at a dive shop somewhat recently so I'm not worried about that.

Any advice or links? Thank you

1000005316.jpg

Hard to tell 100% without looking but it's probably an o-ring or spool. Your dive shop dealer should have an o-ring and maybe a new spool. Is it actually the hose thats leaking or the connection? No need to buy a new hose when a 30 cent o-ring will fix it. If it's the spool then a new hose isn't going to stop the bubbles.

To take off the hose and replace the o-ring just use a wrench and turn it off like any other threaded connection. There's probably an official torque for putting it back on but I usually just tighten mine snug, not too much to strip the threads.

~Dan

You may need to remove the guage from the console. If the front and back halves of the console do not come apart, you will need to remove the hose from the 1st stage, remove the compass, and push the gauge through the circular opening where the face of it sits. A hot water soak will help soften the plastic/rubber a bit to aid the procedure.

Once out of the console, you can use a couple of wrenches to separate the hose from the gauge. One wrench to stabilize the gauge and the other to turn the fitting on the end of the hose.

Between the hose and the gauge is a part called a "high pressure spool" it is a small metal piece that has a tiny o-ring on each end that seals the hose-gauge junction while allowing the gauge to swivel around. The o-rings wear out and typically cause bubbling at the hose-gauge junction.

Spools are relatively inexpensive ($1-$5 depending on where you buy them), but there are a few things to watch out for....the spool will most likely stick in either the gauge or the hose end, just grab it gently with a needle nose plier and pull it out. There are generally 3 different types of spools and they are generally not interchangeable, be sure to purchase the correct one. Most spools use size 003/90 shore o-rings....the o-rings can be replaced but it can be a pain in the arse to remove and replace them. There is a tool that facilitates the installation of the o-rings but it is not really worth the money for the one or two times in one's life that they will perform this maintenance. Some will say it is not worth the time and effort to replace the spool o-rings, but it is possible to do if you can't obtain a replacement. Use some silicone or O2 friendly grease on the spool ends before reinstalling/reattaching the hose.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom