Mixing Things Up in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aloha!

I’m staying in PDC over Thanksgiving and want to dive in Cozumel for 1-2 days, but I want to mix things up. I usually take the ferry over and go out with Aqua Safari and always seems to go to the same dive sites (Santa Rosa and Tormentos).

Any recommendation for mixing things up a bit dive company and dive site wise? I want to stick to reef diving and have already done centoes and the bull shark dive.

Thanks!

I highly recommend ScubaTony. On the two week trip I just did with them we hit every reef in the south except Maracaibo, Punta Sur, and, ironically for this post, Tormentos. Palancar Gardens is one they like to do with divers new to them, and it's a fantastic reef. But the nice thing about that op is they don't have a preset dive schedule. They will almost always go where the boat 'votes' to go as long as it's nothing crazy and the conditions are good, i.e. don't ask for Devil's Throat the first day diving with them, and once in a while we had to go somewhere else because the current was too strong at the first place we picked.

Santa Rosa Wall is closed right now so at least you don't have to worry about diving that one. :)

I have been diving Cozumel for over 30 years and have noted that for most dive companies in the last 15 years will stay within a 15-20 minute boat ride of where they pick you up. For example, if staying on the south end of the island (Allegro/Occidental), you will dive Palancar Gardens, Delila, Cedral, Francesa, and Santa Rosa (now closed) over and over. All outstanding reefs and you won't be disappointed; however, if you are staying for a week or more and diving four dives a day, you will want some more variety. My favorite way to dive there is with my group of three other guys with whom I have been diving for decades, stay in town, and hire a private dive company that keeps the number of divers to four or less per dive master and no more than two dive masters (max eight divers). By being in town, it makes the economics for the dive company favorable to dive both the north end and south end given that the current runs south to north so if diving Punta Sur you will drift north allowing you to pick any of the reefs south of Santa Rosa. Likewise if you want to dive north you can start with Santa Rosa or north of that and drift toward town. Time and gasoline are factors that the dive company have to consider. Large slow boats equal limited area of dive sites; fast and small boats increase your range considerably and allow the dive company to be more flexible.
I recommend looking into Blue Mystic divers. Nico is the owner, has been living in Cozumel for six years, keeps the groups small, uses fast boats, is very experienced, and provides a seamless experience. Additionally, we dive the reefs we want with him. There are exceptions, for example, Chun Chacaab and Maracaibo are always "iffy" due to the capricious currents which can limit safe access for the boat as well as the need to be an experienced diver in general.

Can you stay overnight on the island? If you are coming over on the ferry, even an early ferry, it’s going to limit your options. Staying one night would open up some options, but staying for a few days would open up more, because the dive op would get a chance to see you in the water. My preferred op is Aldora. Their standard morning departure is at 7:30, which would be difficult or impossible to make if you are coming over on the ferry. I understand they’ve stopped taking divers off the cruise ships and I am not sure where they stand on people coming over on the ferry. They sometimes can accommodate later departures or afternoon boats, but that would depend on getting enough divers, which usually means at least 4.

I would look at Salty Endeavors as I just dive with them in September and are diving with them again in December. We did all the usual sites as well as Punta Sur and two sites on the north side, can’t think of the north side names right now. I think they are very accommodating and will go out of their way to make the customer happy (within reason of course). I also feel like their dive masters are some of the best I have ever experienced anywhere.

I have been diving Cozumel for over 30 years and have noted that for most dive companies in the last 15 years will stay within a 15-20 minute boat ride of where they pick you up. For example, if staying on the south end of the island (Allegro/Occidental), you will dive Palancar Gardens, Delila, Cedral, Francesa, and Santa Rosa (now closed) over and over. All outstanding reefs and you won't be disappointed; however, if you are staying for a week or more and diving four dives a day, you will want some more variety. My favorite way to dive there is with my group of three other guys with whom I have been diving for decades, stay in town, and hire a private dive company that keeps the number of divers to four or less per dive master and no more than two dive masters (max eight divers). By being in town, it makes the economics for the dive company favorable to dive both the north end and south end given that the current runs south to north so if diving Punta Sur you will drift north allowing you to pick any of the reefs south of Santa Rosa. Likewise if you want to dive north you can start with Santa Rosa or north of that and drift toward town. Time and gasoline are factors that the dive company have to consider. Large slow boats equal limited area of dive sites; fast and small boats increase your range considerably and allow the dive company to be more flexible.
I recommend looking into Blue Mystic divers. Nico is the owner, has been living in Cozumel for six years, keeps the groups small, uses fast boats, is very experienced, and provides a seamless experience. Additionally, we dive the reefs we want with him. There are exceptions, for example, Chun Chacaab and Maracaibo are always "iffy" due to the capricious currents which can limit safe access for the boat as well as the need to be an experienced diver in general.
Great insights! Thank you!

There are around 100 ops on the island. I've dove with 3 who are still active, and both of them will basically take you wherever you want to go - within reason, and in consideration of the other divers on the boat. What I've experienced is the norm based on feedback that I've heard personally, and in reading of others experiences on this forum.
Please continue the cheerleading.

I have been diving Cozumel for over 30 years and have noted that for most dive companies in the last 15 years will stay within a 15-20 minute boat ride of where they pick you up.
I cannot speak to "most dive companies" as I have been diving with Blue Angel for the past several years, but BA will take you anywhere the divers on the boat vote to go. The ops that operate out of the southern resorts may prefer to stay south, I dunno, but I see the usual suspects pretty much everywhere.

I highly recommend ScubaTony. On the two week trip I just did with them we hit every reef in the south except Maracaibo, Punta Sur, and, ironically for this post, Tormentos. Palancar Gardens is one they like to do with divers new to them, and it's a fantastic reef. But the nice thing about that op is they don't have a preset dive schedule.
For the op I dive with (Blue Angel) and also from what I hear about the rest of the ops that run small boats, going where the divers' consensus requests is the rule rather than the exception.

I would look at Salty Endeavors as I just dive with them in September and are diving with them again in December. We did all the usual sites as well as Punta Sur and two sites on the north side, can’t think of the north side names right now. I think they are very accommodating and will go out of their way to make the customer happy (within reason of course). I also feel like their dive masters are some of the best I have ever experienced anywhere.
And from one who has been to the island even more, I've dived with a dozen ops over the last twenty years and can confirm that Salty E is one of the very best.
For the op I dive with (Blue Angel) and also from what I hear about the rest of the ops that run small boats, going where the divers' consensus requests is the rule rather than the exception.
Yep, unlike the cattleboats with their fixed schedules.

If you're only going to be on the island for a day or two, it's not that big of a deal for you or the op, but there are dozens of great ops in this very competitive market. Your first day is the intro for both, so you do need to make it for at least two.

Back
Top Bottom