Mixing Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GForceV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering if there is any reason not to mix a scubapro mk17 with an apex 2nd stage such as the xtx50? The mk17 is a high performance, balanced, diaphragm 1st stage, same as any of the 1st stages used with the xtx50. Is there any reason an apex first stage would do the job any better? Long story short, I have a scubapro mk17 first stage and prefer the apex 2nd stages. Any advice or opinions would be great... Thanks!

No reason at all...do it, they'll work perfectly together....as will 99.9% of any regulator combinations.

What is it you like about the Apeks compared to , say the Scubapro S600 or G250V ?
Or did you just have the Apeks and got a MK17 ?

No probs at all, but servcing will be troublesome as u will have to bring it to a scubrapro and apeks dealer.

Actually I have the g250v and absolutely love it! I would say it works every bit as good as the apex but my personal tendency and preference is for the apex regs, as I've used them also and found them to be amazing regs as well. I would like to get the apex regs for a double setup and would like to keep the scubapro for singles. I figured it would be easier on my budget to phase in the apex regs rather than to buy them outright. Anyways, I didn't see a problem but just wanted some other opinions. Thanks for the responses!

No probs at all, but servcing will be troublesome as u will have to bring it to a scubrapro and apeks dealer.

Actually service COULD BE not WILL BE. Most shops are capable of servicing more then one brand.

Lets see....

Right tank regulator: Hog 1st stage, Hog 2nd stage
Left tank regulator: Beauchat 1st stage, Scubapro 2nd stage
Stage Reg 1: Oceanic 1st stage, Hog 2nd stage
Stage reg 2: Beauchat 1st stage, Scubamax 2nd stage
Deco reg: OMS 1st stage, Oceanic 2nd stage.

Never had a problem with servicing, never had any reg complain about being mixed and matched.

Let me ask you this: Do you use Ford tires on your Ford car? (or whatever brand you drive) Infact, on my Ford truck I have Firestone tires on the front and...I forget, but some other brand on the back. Do you use shoes, pants and shirt from the same company? I don't have any Converse pants or shirts... Do you use the same company's pencil on their paper? In short, life usually doesn't require products from the same company in order for them to work together. Regulators are no different, you should be able to mix and match pretty much anything you please and have it work alright.

I run Kirby Morgan second stage regulators on either Poseidon or Sherwood first stage regulators. Only thing you need to check is that the Intermedate Pressure coming out of the first stage is within the range for the second stage regulator.

.....actually Muddiver if you have the KM Superflows they have a huge range of external diver adjustment and are specifically designed to work with a wide range of IP's.

Realistically speaking, most gear now is designed to work with a wide range of IP's, and most first stages are tuned to put out similar IP's. I've never had a problem with any combination of regs due to IP, save for one 1 st stage having IP creep issues due to an overuse and underservice :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom