Mixing Class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxsr_sarge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm currently researching compressors, filters, etc. in anticipation of setting up my own home nitrox/trimix fill station. I came across a thread wherein someone recommended taking a "mixing class" before "diving" (pardon the pun) into doing his own set-up.

Has anyone out there taken one? If so, is it necessary and where can I find one?

I'm in S. Florida

Cheers

PS - I already have the OxyHacker's Handbook

I've taken a DSAT gas blender class. They're nice to get you some practice and we went over mixing station designs and ways of producing O2 (membrane, pressure swing absorption, ...). It was kinda expensive, I think $200-300. They also teach you the "correct" answers about what grade of O2 you can use, how an O2 cleaning is done, and so on--a different perspective from OxyHacker.

I'm about to buy the OxyHacker book, though. It's possible that just reading that book and practicing making Nitrox mixes on your own would be enough to get you to the same level, I don't know. The only thing you won't get is the card which could be useful if you ever wanted to work at a shop filling/mixing tanks.

I've taken a DSAT gas blender class. They're nice to get you some practice and we went over mixing station designs and ways of producing O2 (membrane, pressure swing absorption, ...). It was kinda expensive, I think $200-300. They also teach you the "correct" answers about what grade of O2 you can use, how an O2 cleaning is done, and so on--a different perspective from OxyHacker.

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought of DSAT/PADI!

You should be able to find a Nitrox Gas Blending class in your area. The class will teach you how to safely blend gasses for Nitrox diving and Oxygen handling. Vance's book is good, but you should still find a gas blending instructor who is proficient in gas blending and learn from them.

You should be able to find a Nitrox Gas Blending class in your area. The class will teach you how to safely blend gasses for Nitrox diving and Oxygen handling. Vance's book is good, but you should still find a gas blending instructor who is proficient in gas blending and learn from them.

Thanks. I also just realized that IANTD offers Nitrox and Trimix Blending courses as well and I'm in their backyard. I'm currently training w/ GUE and unfortunately they don't offer a similar course.

I've taken a DSAT gas blender class. They're nice to get you some practice and we went over mixing station designs and ways of producing O2 (membrane, pressure swing absorption, ...). It was kinda expensive, I think $200-300. They also teach you the "correct" answers about what grade of O2 you can use, how an O2 cleaning is done, and so on--a different perspective from OxyHacker

I found a local DSAT class in Key Largo with Silentworld Dive Center. Perfect!

Thanks again.

As far as an update, I recently took the PADI/DSAT class mentioned above. It was $175. We went through a tedious slide presentation that was basically a "reprint" of the book and then did some Nitrox and Trimix PP blending. Getting hands-on experience with the blending and being able to see the equipment was the best part of the class. The entire class lasted about 5 hours but I was prepared and had thoroughly gone through the book (definate time saver). It could actually have been shorter had the instructor/dive shop owner not had to stop every 15 minutes to get the phone or attend to a customer! But I walked out happy.

BTW, the book comes with a very neat program that calculates the desired blend based on the existing contents on the tank. I know that are a million of these out there but it used a nice "sliding scale" tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom