Mixing 1st and 2nd stage brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mostlyirish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any reason I should not mix a Scubapro MK21 1st stage with another brand (Apeks for example) 2nd stage?

Go ahead and mix. Even the outliers are generally fine. My not be perfect optimal tuned, but should be acceptable. If something is wrong it will be generally a leaker (more IP than the 2nd wants and that can generally be adjusted out).

Really common to be on a trip and someone has an issue with a reg and a spare 2nd stage is screwed on to fix it.

It is generally OK as long as the IP matches. The issue comes when it is time to do the service which maybe a pain if one service center can service one brand but not the other. I prefer to use matching first and second stage brands including octo. just to avoid the servicing issues that comes up.

BoltSnap is right about servicing being the main consideration. Either DIY it or make sure you have someone happy to work on both brands in a single reg set.

Most 1st/2nd combinations will be quite tolerant of each other and plenty of people do it. My old MK21 repair procedure says the IP range is "9-10 bar (130-145 psi)". Meanwhile the (2009) Tx50 manual lists the staggeringly different 1st stage IP range of......"130-145 psi (9-10 bar)." That suggests a Tx50 2nd would be right at home on a MK21 but the SP compatibility chart doesn't show it, so of course you wouldn't do it.

Finally, warranty? I don't a clue about this, but if the 1st/2nd are different brands I speculate you may find warranty claims a little bit tricky.

How do you like your MK21 first stage? What second stage do you use with it?

Sorry, I've got an old manual but not an actual MK21. I expect it would be a good reg, but I can't find much to like appearance wise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom